25 November, 2005

Auto De Fe-lure

My sister is okay. I was not convinced that she was fine until I talked to her for myself. I guess if she'd had wounds I would have insisted on putting my hands in them. She taught a whole school day in shock, since she was still in shock when I talked to her late that afternoon. Her twin concerns on Wednesday evening were the logistics of replacing her crumpled Alero and the mockery she'd get from our brothers for her "poor" driving. She was so afraid that Dave and Tom would be cruel to her, but she hadn't reckoned on their love. Of car shopping.

Apparently now that we are reassured that she is intact and unconcussed, the guys have taken the opportunity (and promise of insurance money) to find her a new car. Of course, this car hunt was not complete until they dragged Tim into the conversation via speakerphone.

The first step was to determine how much insurance money she's likely to receive for the Alero. Let me be clear that the only reason I even know she was driving an "Alero" is because it came up in the loudly-broadcast speakerphone conversation. I am carlexic and have no ability to distinguish between car brands and styles. At one point the guys were asking her to distinguish between a series of meaningless letters. ("Was at GX, a GLS or an QRSTUVW?") When she couldn't tell them, my very own loving husband loudly exclaimed "How can you have driven it for 5 years and not know that? You are such a girl. Did have 2 or 4 doors? Do you at least know that?"

After patiently enduring the vacuum of information coming from Miss Bee, everyone moved forward with Phase Two, which consisted of looking at other cars on the Internet. I have a feeling that our Christmas visit to Indiana will be spent on various car lots. Which for me will be somewhat like trying to decide which marshmallow is the best. Personally, I don't think she needs to get any of those 3 guys Christmas presents. They're having enough fun already.

3 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, November 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she's ok!!

And... I have to admit, I love love LOVE car shopping. It's honestly what I do more online than shoppingfor clothes or home stuff - pricing and building my own cars.

But yeah, that's awesome that she's ok.

 
At 9:18 AM, November 26, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

My brother Tom is a car geek. He can tell you anything about any car. He and I are very much alike in many respects, but I think he got ALL the car knowledge. He has too much and I have none. So that's my working theory. He siphoned it off my genes.

 
At 3:42 PM, November 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I am fine. I am also very thankful that I am fine, and that I have so many people who were concerned about me. I still don't know what kind of car to get. I think Tom and Dave got all the car knowledge genes in the family. Thank the Lord that a new car is all I'm worrying about now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home