20 November, 2005

Nerd-Bait

The Universe's Official Spokesperson has asked that I go find some other nerd-bait to post about. Which leaves my head spinning. You'd think that the UOS of all people would realize just how much nerd-bait is floating around out there right now, and give me some more guidance than THAT!

I know I've not posted much other than nerd-bait for awhile, but I'm writing for me. And it's much safer to have an opinion about Harry Potter (unless that opinion is the extremely stupid one about Harry and Hermione falling in love) than it is to have an opinion about the Iraq war, the homeless, and whether we should say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays". But, since I'm thinking about it, here--scattershot--are my opinions on various nerdly and political issues. Just to clear my head, so to speak.

Iraq
I have no idea. I can see both sides of the issue. I'm just glad that I'm not in any position of power.

Merry Christmas v. Happy Holidays
I'm kinda with Josh Tinley on this one. "Merry Christmas" is good with family and friends. But with stores, I don't think they have the Birth of Christ on their mind. So, "Happy Holidays" is good when Wishing Big at Sears. And don't bother telling me about how Christmas actually has it's origins in a pagan holiday so calling it Christ's Birthday is a joke. I took Anthro 101, TiVo the History Channel and was in Women's Studies at Indiana University. Therefore, I know full well about the origin of most holidays. The fact remains that millions of us in the here and now DO choose December 25 as a day to honour the Christ Child. As a bitter, nasty, disfunctional old man once said "You keep Christmas in your way, and let me keep it in mine."

Harold Ford Jr.
He annoys me. He reminds me of a villainous character in a Southern Gothic Melodrama. Cue one Spoiled Senator's Son. His temper tantrum on the floor of the house was embarassing. And I don't know why there are a million frat boys out there who think that having a Ford Blog is cool. Part of me thinks it would be ironically hip to get one of those NASCAR Calvin-peeing on a Ford symbol. And, just so we're all clear--> it's not because he's a democrat. It's because he doesn't have any manners. Which is why I think the ill-mannered Calvin thing would be funny, and why I won't do it. Cause I try to have some manners in politics.

Thanksgiving
I like it. It's still one of my favourite Holidays.

Tirades about Materialism
Here's the thing, as I see it. We've all seen the Charlie Brown Christmas special. It's been trendy for half a century to bitch about the commercialization of Christmas. I don't mind it. In my opinion, there are three layers of The Holiday Season. There's the sacred layer, which includes focused corporate worship like lighting advent candles, singing Away In A Manger and reading the Christmas Story from Luke. There's the Familial layer, which every family does in a slightly different way. It's the foods they eat, the gifts they give and when they give them. Then there's the Social Layer. That's all the lights in the stores and along the city streets. That's the Salvation Army bellringers, the special activities at Opryland and the shopping. It's the sappy Hallmark commercials on TV. For two months a year, there is a buffet of activities from which anyone and everyone can pick and choose. We all have a fundamental need for celebration and for a break from the ordinary. The Holliday Season gives us that. Again with the Scroogery--We can all keep Christmas in our own way. I would hope that everyone can experience the joy of Christ, because that to me makes for the most fulfilling Christmas. But I begrudge no one their own personal method of celebration.

Sudoku
I know that Lacy thinks it's addicting. And it seems like the newest Nerd-Bait out there. But something about it reminds me of Algebra Story Problems and really scares me.

Age Of Empires III
I want this game. Badly. Of course, the Mac Port won't be ready for another eleventy months, and I don't like to play games on Tim's machine. So, I must deal with Patience.

Walk The Line
I've loved Johnny Cash for a long time. I want to see this movie. I think maybe I'll see it on Black Friday.

Black Friday
If you want to get up at 3:00 in the morning to buy a cheap TV, be my guest. Just know that deep down in my heart I think you are absolutely crazy. But I guess if that's the way you like to celebrate, I don't begrudge you. (See above)

Stupid Christmas Requests
Don't tell me all you want is world peace or some other Beauty Queen answer. I am not prepared to buy you world peace. I'll get you scented soaps. It's stupid to just want World Peace for Christmas. You should want world peace all year. And you know full well you won't get it, so you're just saying you want it to be smug and feel superior. Like "Ha! You said you wanted the Harmon/Kardon iPod Brain, and I said I wanted all the children of Africa to have the love of two parents! I'm SUCH the much better person!"

There. I'm finally off hold with the Apple Customer Support Line, so I can be done typing now.

6 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I'd like that huge-honkin' box set of Buffy cause it has like one extra disc of super-deluxe cool new extras that I don't already have....

Oh wait...I guess I should come up with a more compelling reason...

 
At 9:57 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Exador said...

If you see both sides in the Iraq war, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I too, am glad you're not in a position of power.

Otherwise, ya seem kinda bright for someone who's taken womyns' studies.

 
At 10:08 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

See, Exador, at least I can admit that I have no business making decisions on the war. I'm glad we went because I think we needed to. I just don't know when we should leave. And I am sure that the President and Congress MUST know more than I do about it. Because I'm also sure that I know more about Harry Potter than they do. We all have ways to spend our days.

As far as Womyn's Studies go, I took 4 hours out of curiousity. It was the single dumbest class I've ever taken in my life. It was actually "Women and the Arts". They went on and on about women artists but never talked about the women who posed for the paintings. Apparently you're only a valid womyn if you are a butch lesbian performance artist--like the teacher of the class. Who was also a Wiccan (Shocker!!!!) and made sure that we all knew that the current Holidays were patriarchal BS stolen from the earth-loving skyclad Druids of yore.

It was an excruciating way to spend my time.

 
At 10:43 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Exador said...

I like you.

Here I was, all ready to pick an argument, and I can't do it.

Touche'

 
At 10:57 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Oh, I'm sure we could find something to fight about.
;-p

 
At 2:43 PM, November 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. No no no no no no absolutely not re: Harry & Hermione.

No.

harry and ginny maybe. Hermione? No.

I'm so into what's important in life - obvs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home