05 January, 2006

Typical Christians

Last week, during my time away from blogging, Mark Rose of Right-Minded authored this post about the upcoming NBC show The Book of Daniel.

His lament, and those of my brethren on the conservative side of the aisle is that the show doesn't portray a typical Christian family. I tend to agree that Christians are usually woefully misportrayed by mainstream television and film. Just like the white guy's Geisha book, when you try to write about a world you don't move in it often comes off as japery.

The beautiful thing about Christianity is that it is for everyone. That's precisely who Christ died for. So let's get rid of this idea that there's a right type of person to be a Christian. My typical Christian life? Looks something like this:

--The main character is Katherine Coble, a 35 year old woman ridden with anxieties and struggling with major health problems. She doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up and is struggling with the drama of approaching 40 in a childless state. She takes drugs.

--Her husband is consumed by his work and his passion for cycling. He deals with a startup business and the stress that entails.

--She has a 29 year old gay brother and is on friendly terms with him and his partner.

--Her two adopted children are gay dogs.

When I was a kid the assumption was that a beer in the fridge meant eternity in hot hell fire. So often Christians extrapolate these societal codes into larger inferrances about the nature of our salvation and our faith. No, we shouldn't continue in sin so that Grace may abound. Yet we can't assume that our Father's Grace for our brethren has limits along our design.

There are approximately 2 billion Christians on this planet. Each one is unique and none are typical.

9 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, January 05, 2006, Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

amen, child!

 
At 11:05 PM, January 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite oxymoron is "good Christian." If I was so good why would I be a Christian?

 
At 4:06 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

As usual, you were eloquent and brutally honest.

 
At 5:37 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger J. R. said...

Beautiful and exactly how I try to explain my Christianity. This post means you will be a daily visit for me from now on.

My preacher back home always put it like this: "You don't seek a doctor when you are healthy." And in Mark 2:17, Christ Himself says "I came not for the righteous, but for the sinners."

To me, that kind of sums it all up.

 
At 11:51 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Jeffrey said...

wow. excellent post. so true. My wife bought me Messy Spirituality by Michael Yaconelli for Christmas and it is quite a compelling read. A quote: "Sameness is the cemetery where our distinctiveness is buried."

The fact is that everyone, especially Christians, are a mess! Those who say otherwise are very much in denial. Is it possible that Jesus came not to rescue us from our messiness, but to transform us into His likeness in the midst of our mess?

 
At 12:27 PM, January 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! I agree that there's no such thing as "typical" when it comes to Christians.

So what's with pop culture's insistence on portraying us either as hypocrites for not being perfect or as complete sleazeballs (as in this new show) who don't appear to be making an effort to rise to or even acknowledge a higher standard?

Ironically, it's only the latter that ever seem to be portrayed as good, realistic Christians. Sure, Christians are messy people, just like everybody else. What's unfortunate is that when we choose to do something more than just wallow in our messiness we automatically get portrayed as freaks and zealots who don't warrant being portrayed as "real" people anymore.

 
At 12:47 PM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Messy Spirituality by Michael Yaconelli for Christmas and it is quite a compelling read.

I think I'll have to get my hands on that. Of course, I must also relentlessly plug Phillip Yancy's What's So Amazing About Grace?

So what's with pop culture's insistence on portraying us either as hypocrites for not being perfect or as complete sleazeballs (as in this new show) who don't appear to be making an effort to rise to or even acknowledge a higher standard?


Well, for starters I know nothing on top of nothing about this new show. So I can't say if that's the direction they're taking. But the simple answer is that anyone on the outside of the Christian's experience doesn't get it. On a macro level, non-Christians are always going to be stymied by what appears as hypocrisy. In reality we know that it is the Old Man versus the New Man and the war between our fallen nature and our redeemed soul. It's a private thing between the saved and the Saviour.

I've lately become convinced that even on a micro level we Christians don't even see that with other Christians. None of us, unless in the intimate setting of a marriage, know the complete struggle between a Christian and the Holy Spirit.

 
At 3:54 PM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Sonia said...

:::: gazes in admiration ::::

 
At 3:33 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

Ok this is very old and I've just found it but my gosh girl...this is how I try to explain why I lean on Jesus to people who don't get it. I NEED him.

Beautifully written. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home