03 January, 2006

I HATE THE OLYMPICS

As I have already made plain, I cannot stand January and February. They are always always always sucktastic. Usually, though, they are redeemed in small portion by the fact that there are fun things to watch in the evenings. But no. Now it's time for the *snore* Olympics.

I liked them when I was a kid. When they were in Lake Placid, and again in Montreal. Figure skating was coming into its own, and the part of me that loves drag shows, disco and other fantastic glamour activities just loves to watch figure skating. But now the world has caught on and that's on all the time. Any random Saturday has The Nestle Hot Cocoa Ice Dancing Championship or some such frivolity. Why bother waiting for the Gillooly Hour? And of course there was Eric (yum) Heiden and the Miracle USA Hockey team in 1980--neither of which are likely to repeat themselves in the current zeitgeist. Since there will never be a show like that again, I'm not getting up lather about it.

Besides--and I'll admit this freely--I am zonecentric about my Olympics. When they're held in my approximate time zone, that's cool. I feel like I'm actually watching a contest. Whenever the games are held in East Wherethehellistan, everything that takes up my valuable The Office time is just a tape-delayed recap. You can find out who actually won the event with two clicks of the mouse. Why watch a foregone conclusion? Did I mention that I'm not always process-oriented?

7 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, January 03, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Hey now..January has some good things.

NFL playoffs, my b'day...come on! That's two good things right there!

 
At 12:41 PM, January 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wake me when the Olympics are over.

If they want to make it worth viewing, they should demand that Olympic Basketball be moved to the Winter Games. It is an Indoor/Winter sport in this country.
It would force the alleged "Dream Teams" to choose playing the pro season or representing their country. Hmmm. How many will pick the latter?

 
At 2:50 PM, January 03, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

Oh, good! Someone else who hates the Olympics! I felt so alienated a couple of years ago when everyone I knew was glued to the Summer Games and I was kind of "meh."

I used to love figure skating, too, but it hasn't been nearly as fun to watch since the whole Tonya-Nancy thing. That happened when I was in college and we had a "Tonya vs. Nancy" party - kind of disappointing when Bayul got the gold, but still fun.

I just can't get into it anymore. *shrug*

 
At 7:08 PM, January 03, 2006, Blogger Exador said...

Maybe if they has "Team Figure Skating" with knee-whackin-bats.

I'd watch THAT.

 
At 5:02 PM, January 04, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

I'm a personal fan of curling. It is almost hypnotic to watch a stone slowly sliding across ice as brooms swish in front.

I could, sadly, watch that for hours.

 
At 11:25 AM, January 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of how one might feel about the olympics as a whole, you've got to admit that Neve and Gliz, the mascots/icons for this year's winter games, are just plain creepy! (See "http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/
torino/index_uk.asp" for the fully animated, deeply disturbing version. If you're brave, watch the movie!)

What, exactly, about anthropomorphized (and possibly sexually active) marshmallows is supposed to scream "winter sports!!!"? Personally, I'm kinda hoping that they have a run-in with the olympic torch. (Smores anyone?)

 
At 10:29 PM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am not too keen on the olympics, I see the whole thing as flagwaving propaganda ... given the amount of money that is wasted on them, (and many other things too! I'm not picking on the olympics), in these times of genuine need around the world it's hoax of massive proportions.

And have you noticed they start the events with a gun - for sure that'd make me run like mad, or freeze, and drop to the ground!

Check out this song on http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3ID=15051&aid=7366

made me laugh! Bang Bang! Ha! Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home