24 February, 2006

Battlestar Galactica: Looming Questions

Since the Olympics have devoured TV programming, Tim & I spent the last two evenings rewatching the BSG miniseries. It was interesting to revisit that bridge, with so much water having passed under it. It does raise some questions though.

1. What happened to Boxey?

Not that I mind, but he was front and center during the mini. He was also a BIG part of the original. I sort of miss the idea of having the Ship's Mascot be a little boy. I don't miss the robot dog, though. In general I think robot dogs are tiresome. With one exception.

You wanna know what's sad? The kid who played the original Boxey has grown up. The highlight of his life, according to his IMDb Bio is apparently that"He has tended bar at several LA clubs and has several tattoos." Child stars. What a parable of joy attained and subsequently dimmed.

2. Abortion. Really? Are we gonna go there for the rest of the series?

Someone, somewhere likened this new version of BSG to "West Wing in space". Maybe it was Big Orange Michael. I honestly can't remember. So far I've made my peace with it, even thought I'd like to see more well-done civilian stories. (But you can feel free to keep your Black Market Mob stuff to yourself.) Honestly, though, I don't think I want to see any more Earth-based controversies given the Pigs In Space treatment. Yes, the birth rate has to be a concern. The whole "start having babies" line of Roslin's turned into the impetus which swayed Adama's entire thinking about the war in the miniseries. Given the fact that the Dry-Erase Board Of Life is an everpresent part of the ship I cannot believe that prior to this moment the government hasn't incentivised childbirth. How dumbass IS this schoolteacherpresident? They've already dealt (badly) with the shadow economy of the black market. Now they're outlawing abortion. Take those lemons and make lemonade, you jerks. Pay people to have babies. It's an economic reality that they must be born for the species' survival. So follow through. I get that the abortion issue was all a Maguffin to make the Crazy Masturbator a serious political candidate. But they can stop now.

3. Are we still even looking for Earth?

There's a map. There's a genius but crazed scientist. There's a need for resources and land. Plus, there's the entire premise of a show behind the search. I get the feeling we've stopped looking for Earth, now that there's a map. Which seems bassackwards, if you ask me. It's like losing the desire for sex once you find the condom. Highly unlikely.

4. Speaking of sex...

Aren't there other men who are capable of having sex besides Apollo? Does he have to inseminate every woman in the fleet? Granted, perhaps he's making a play for Repopulation King, but it's still getting ridiculous.

5. Thirteen at dinner...

I'm frankly quite stupid at times. It just struck me during the re-view of the mini that there are 12 colonies AND 12 Cylon models. They are looking for the missing 13th colony (Earth), and awaiting the birth of the Miracle Baby. The thirteenth cylon. I see all kinds of interesting parallels to be drawn here.

6. Wouldn't this be a cool plot?

With the Resurrection Ship vaporised, that puts a lot of Cylon bodies offline. What happens when there are more downloadable Cylon consciousnesses than available wetware to house them? How about a Cylon plotline where we see multiple consciousnessess struggle for ascendency in the same body? That could be cool.

5 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Sarcastro said...

Yeah, I got a question or two...
Did mommy and daddy not pay you enough attention?
Are you so starved for attention that this is how you get people to notice you?
Are you so cowardly that you will broadcast someone's personal info all the while hiding behind a chicken shit veil of anonymity?
And, my last question, I promise, are you looking for someone to throw down with?

Come get some, tough guy.

 
At 12:15 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Sarcastro said...

Aw shit, Kat.

I wanted to call that guy out.

 
At 12:33 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Until I got tto the third question I was like

"No, mommy and daddy didn't pay me enough attention, obviously. And yes, I do suppose I try to get attention by talking about Battlestar Galactica, but it doesn't ever amount to much. The only people who pay any attention to that are other people who didn't get love from their parents."

And then I realised you were talking about the comment I deleted.

And I felt really stupid.

 
At 12:34 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Sarcastro said...

Not as stupid as I look now with the offending comment gone and me calling you out about a TV show.

 
At 2:02 PM, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to interrupt, but I had to give my answer to question number one.

I hope he's dead!

Whew.....I feel better now.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home