14 March, 2006

Ezwol Update

For those of you who knew about it, my surgery went well yesterday.

For those of you who didn't know about it, I had an unplanned kidney stone surgery yesterday. It was the "stone zapping" ESWL surgery.

Some observations:

1. This is not as pain-free as they make it sound.
2. I told 9 different people where I hurt.
3. I spelled my last name and gave my date of birth 11 times.
4. They put the IV in wrong, and I now have a lump the size of an egg at my left elbow.
5. Morphine burns when it goes in wrong.
6. My Anesthesiologist's name was--NO JOKE---Dr. Paralis. I found this extremely funny.
7. Never go to the ER on Sunday.
8. Apparently a lot of people get in bar fights on Saturday night.
9. Apparently a lot of meth lab accidents happen on Saturday night.
10. It's so nice when the stone shows up on the CAT scan, because the nurses stop treating you like a junkie and start treating you like someone with a kidney stone.
11. This is my 36th kidney stone in 9 years. This is only the 5th time I've been hospitalized for a stone.

11 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, March 14, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

36??? *hugs*

 
At 1:24 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Lydia said...

Yikes! I had no idea! So sorry to hear that. Tim didn't say anything on Sunday - I'm guessing the ER trip was in the afternoon. You forgot to say how many times they asked you if you could be pregnant. Even after asking me a thousand times, they still did a pregnancy test. It's amazing how they never believe that you could possibly know what is going on with the body that you live in all the time.

 
At 1:34 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

PK, As a Clerks fan, I eagerly await the next one. 37 being the magic number & all.

Actually, I pulled Tim out of sunday school. It's the first time a non-choir/extended session person left at 10:00....;-P

They only asked me the "pregnant" question 5 times. And they were adamant that I give them enough pee for a pregnancy test. Which is, literally, getting blood from a stone. I said that at one point, and thought it was funny. They didn't. They didn't have morphine, though.

 
At 3:48 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

36! Have they ever determined the type of stones or offered any prevention info? Sounds terrible - glad you're okay!

 
At 4:22 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

In a row?

 
At 4:51 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

Glad you're better... and it makes my cold seem much more bearable! :D

 
At 5:56 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

get better soon!!!

 
At 10:06 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Ryan said...

Best to you. I know all too well of what you speak. For a $10K procedure this one is a little more flawed than I cared to learn (i.e, obstructions due to a stone not being completely eviscerated are BAD!).

Also, #7. Correct; #8 Quite Correct.

Best,
Ryan

 
At 9:53 AM, March 15, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

First, I'm sending over massive hugs for your 36 kidney stones and general pain. I hope you're feeling better now. When I get finished donating a kidney to St. Mark, you can have my other one. No, wait, that doesn't work out. ;)

Secondly, I can't believe you had to spell your last name that many times. I can't imagine having to spell my married name that many times, and I'd probably have to, since it's really oddly spelled.

Thirdly, email me if there is anything I can do for you.

 
At 12:13 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Sorry to hear about the surgery. Hope you're on the mend and will feel better soon.

Please know, I'll be praying for you during the recovery.

But hey...at least you have no excuse to not watch the new Dr Who now!

 
At 2:15 PM, March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

36???? woah ... glad you're home and living to laugh about it :)

~ Lacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home