02 March, 2006

"I Hope Brokeback Doesn't Win"



This is yet another one of those posts inspired by something written by someone else. I respect Connie Lane very much. For my money there are few who have as deep and intuitive understanding and appreciation of cinema.

She's pretty riled by folks rooting against Brokeback.

There seems to be an implicit assumption that if it does win, it will simply be because of the issue - a mere gesture on behalf of the Academy at legitimizing the homosexual lifestyle.


She appears to be pulling for Brokeback, which is fine by me. Not having seen the movie I can't speak fully to its merits or demerits. She has seen it, and explains why she believes it deserves recognition. She goes into further detail about other "controversial" films and their corresponding AMPAS attention. You really should click through and read it, if you have time.

While this is all well and good and fine and dandy...it's what she says at the end that gets me.

Although, I have to say that I'm quite sad that so few people seem to have seen any of the nominated films and that there is a staggeringly low interest in what happens Sunday night. 2005 was a great year for films, and each of the Best Picture nominees is worth a look, no matter what side of their issues you're on.


2005 was a great year. For films. See, that's the thing. We have films and we have movies. There are some years that--my hand to heaven--I swear I feel like Hollywood is conducting some sort of Freshman Seminar. The Seminar part wouldn't be so bad if I didn't also keenly feel the Freshman angle. The being-talked-down-to business that is so excruciating. It seems like whenever filmmakers undertake any issue, whether it's Ang Lee's homosexual cowpokes or Mel Gibson's violently bleeding Jesus, they approach it as though they have a beacon of knowledge to bring the rest of us ignorant monkeys. There is an implicit sense of the audience not being able to fully grasp a situation until Kindly Mr. Celluloid shows us. None of us get how hard unrequited love is until we watch Ennis and the other guy wrestle with it. None of us grasp the suffering of Jesus until Mel paints oozing scabs on an actor. There's a fundamental lack of respect for the audience that unites these pictures, in my opinion. It boils down to this.

Films are created for the filmmakers. Movies are created for the audience.

I don't go in much for films anymore. I've had my life with its ups and downs. I continue to meet interesting people and have full and varied experiences. Thanks to the internet and global connectivity I can have a conversation with the actual people at the heart of any issue. If I want to know about the gay life I can ask an actual gay person. I don't have to pay ten dollars to see a bunch of straight people pantomime the struggles of fake gay people. There are too many lenses there, refracting the light of actual human experience. Not that that's always bad, because you can learn from fiction. But in Film they don't want to let you learn through experience. They want to lecture, to preach.

Movies are different. Movies are where you can go to escape from life and be entertained. Really good movies can also have a lesson, but it doesn't hit you over the head--and the lesson isn't the primary point of the work. I may be able to talk to Catholics and gay people over the internet, but I'll never get the visceral thrill of seeing an elf slide a shield down castle steps. That's the stuff you get in a good movie.

Frankly, I don't care who walks away the victor on Sunday night. As far as I'm concerned, I know who lost already. All of us who crave good escapist entertainment.

5 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, March 03, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

But the Oscars aren't about escapist entertainment (most of the time). Maybe that's why a lot of people don't like them, but then I don't get why so many of those same people tune in every year.

And I think the "Freshman Seminar" angle is just as true - if not more so - with books. Some of them are written to elevate and instruct, like films, and some are written to be entertaining, like movies.

For that matter, it's the same for any other kind of art. I enjoy a good Justin Timberlake jam that I can dance to, but I know it's not trying to say anything to me. But I also love songs like Dylan's "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll," which, though it probably wouldn't score high on the Dick Clark Bandstand-O-Meter, is incredibly moving and even enlightening.

What I look for in cinema is what I look for in pretty much any kind of art. I want to feel something, and the movies/songs/books I think are great are the ones that give me something to feel. Whether it's immense sadness for the circumstances that bring Ennis and Jack together and keep them apart or utter joy at how Tom Jones finally regains his honor or the feeling that I have to get up and dance right this second when Aretha sings "Think about what you're tryin' to do to me!"

I've felt talked down to in films, of course, but I don't tend to like those films or think they're particularly good. If it's done well, an "instructive" film makes me feel like I'm a part of it somehow, rather than being taught. I know a film is great to me if I'm sad to see it end - even if I've been watching it for four hours. And that feeling comes not from whether the movie has a message or not, but whether or not it has a great and involving story and characters.

 
At 9:07 PM, March 03, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

I'm not really pulling for Brokeback. I do think it will win, and I'll be pleased if it does. But I'd be overjoyed to see Crash, Good Night, or Munich win, too. Capote is great, but not Best Picture material, IMO.

Okay, I'm done. :P

 
At 11:29 PM, March 03, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

But the Oscars aren't about escapist entertainment (most of the time).

No, they're not. But they act like they want to be, which is grating.

I don't get why so many of those same people tune in every year.

I used to, but about 8 or 9 years ago I quit watching.
I made a few exceptions when LOTR was up for grabs, but in general I just don't get into them anymore.

And I think the "Freshman Seminar" angle is just as true - if not more so - with books.

Yes, that is most definitely true.

What I look for in cinema is what I look for in pretty much any kind of art. I want to feel something, and the movies/songs/books I think are great are the ones that give me something to feel.

I do agree on this. I'll admit that maybe it's me getting older or maybe it's me getting intellectually lazy, but either way I am finding myself less and less interested in any movie/book/song that is overtly lesson-driven. Whether it's Good Night and Good Luck, Green Day's American Idiot or The Lovely Bones I just can't find myself working up the same excitement I used to.

Of course, I haven't seen any of this year's nominees, so I can't say for certain how "message-y" any of them are. I do plan to see Capote, GNGL and Munich on video. I have NO interest in Brokeback for the same reasons I've always said and I don't want to see Crash because I'm just not interested. Judging by the box office receipts for these films, I'm not alone in my general malaise.

I've felt talked down to in films, of course, but I don't tend to like those films or think they're particularly good

How did you feel that the various 5 nominees handled themselves in this regard? I guess if you like them, they did okay...

 
At 11:46 AM, March 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If I want to know about the gay life I can ask an actual gay person. I don't have to pay ten dollars to see a bunch of straight people pantomime the struggles of fake gay people."

Girl, you are too right.

What cracks me up is this whole "Academy" is a bullhonkey piece of PR leftover from the 1920s that has gotten way out of hand. For me, the whole event is like watching a great big drag show, but with actual women in the dresses and actual, albeit HIDEOUS, jewelry. I'm going to a Brokeback-themed oscar party, so I have to breakout my luxurious lesbian flannel shirt from Abercrombie & Fitch.

I've seen Brokeback and I've seen Last Picture Show. Both are about the same movie, so far as people dealing with harsh reality and dreams that don't quite come true.

Both films are up for almost identical categories 35 years apart. It would be quite eerie if Brokeback picked up the Actor/Supporting Actress combo that Last Picture show got.

 
At 5:16 PM, March 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Movies or films. Whatever you call them, they are filled with overpayed, self-important people who don't have a clue about real life. The Oscars celebrate those people. Like they need more positive reinforcement! There are just too many more important things in life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home