15 May, 2006

The Weekend In Retrospect

Friday Night

Texana has reopened, and there is much rejoicing. Tim and I celebrated with Armadillo eggs and conversation shouted over the jukebox. It was great fun.

Saturday

Major milestone. I made it through the entire batch of laundry--all 5 loads. And none of it was left folded on the dryer. Or, as I like to call it "The Changing Room With The Two Appliances In It." I figure renaming it would make me feel less guilty about leaving piles of clothes in there.

I did get to take a break from my self-imposed Laudress Duty when Chris and Amanda came over to have Tim work on their bikes. It was especially nice of them to come just as I got a load in the dryer. (And the bikes are cool, even though he referred to them as "ghetto bikes".)

After they left Tim & I considered going out to Watertown for the drive-in, but opted to stay in watch some Babylon 5. We're in a long G'Kar-free stretch of episodes, and I'm getting cranky. I realise that I'm much more into the Londo/G'Kar storylines and am losing patience for the Saintliness Of Delenn. Also the makeup on her hybrid Minbari bone looks like Silly Putty. But I'm sure I'll be in a much better disposition if they'd have more Narns and less Minbari.

Sunday

Woke up in excruciating pain and hobbled into church. Received a rose in honour of Mother's Day, which was particularly nice. We went to Sitar for Mother's Day lunch, which technically broke my "keep away from all restaurants" rule. But, you know, people just don't think "Curry and Sag!" when they are deciding where to take their moms. I love going to Sitar because most of the time it's like the Downbelow of restaurants. There's a lively cross-section of folks you wouldn't see elsewhere. (I proudly include myself in this.)

------

I tell you all of these things not because I think you're interested, but because I need to explain how this was a nice ordinary weekend with little excitement. And when I sat down to watch the Grey's Anatomy season finale, I was feeling mellow.

Ha. Not anymore. [SPOILERS FOR PART I TO FOLLOW---I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT PART II YET, SO NO FEAR THERE]

Could it have been more intense? Could I have wanted to slap Izzy any harder? I'm actually quite pissed at what they've done to Izzy's character in the last half of this season. They had a strong, vibrant female doctor who wasn't ashamed of modeling her way through med school. And tonight they just totally mauled her character with all the "don't die, Supernatural guy". It all felt so contrived. I was mad.

It WAS nice to see Vinny Vanlowe playing a jerk of a patient, though. Good to see Veronica Mars cast members getting work. But, for crying out loud I thought there were all these unemployed actors out there. Why does GA keep casting people I know from other shows? Yeah, it's a stupid complaint, but it gets wierd after a while. "Look, Early Edition is going to take care of the bomb!" "Dude, Roseanne's sister is toast!" "Man, are they ever gonna figure out what's causing Chicago Hope's seizures?" "Dude, Gay Robin might actually make some time with Meredith after the pony birth."

I'm just being too hard on the show because they left me hanging with some major tension. And now my husband will not be watching future episodes with me because he claims they have come thisclose to jumping the shark. And as Izzy started screaming out her love for Supernatural I swear did kinda hear an outboard turn over. I trust them though.

And it's 4:00 and I'm still awake.

This is getting old.

8 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

I don't know if this will help, but I went to the doctor once for wicked insomnia. I'm one of those people whose body clock just goes crazy.
Anyway, I went weeks surviving on something like two hours a night.
The solution was the doctor gave me two Ambien (no more) to jumpstart my body clock. Then chamomile tea at night from what used to be Sunshine Grocery (They closed, but you need the real stuff, not the processed tea.) I still drink it sometimes late at night.
It worked. I didn't get a scrip for the sleeping pills, just two wish really did start me back toward sleeping again.
I know how this feels. I wish you luck, and rest.

 
At 10:02 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Ooo, yes, let's dish about GA! I'm going to have to get Season One on DVD (since I ended up missing about half of it, not sure why, maybe becasue it was a new show and I swore I wasn't going to start watching any new shows and then about 1/2 way through got sucked into the story, anyway...)

I'm with you on Izzie's character. She has really crumbled. But at the same time it makes her character more human because everyone knows (even patients) that doctors are supposed to stay neutral and unaffected and not get into intimate relationships with their patients and this storyline shows exactly why. The means she's going to to save Denny's life are completely insane and (I assume since I don't really know the oath) completely against the Hippocratic Oath. She's not acting as his doctor anymore she's acting as a girlfriend/lover. And she makes a HUGE mistake.

And it's interesting that they used "anger" as the sin to talk about in that episode. Yes, Izzie freaks because she's angry that Denny won't get his heart, yes Addison freaks in front of everyone because she's angry with Derek for not loving her, yes Callie freaks out when Meredith asks her about the dog because she's angry with Meredith for hurting George. But, I see pride as the root in all of those instances. Izzie's too proud to accept that she can't do anything for Denny, Addison is too proud to accept that Derek doesn't love her and the reason just may be because of what she did and Callie is too proud to forgive Meredith because she thinks she's sticking up for George by not doing so.

And don't get me started on the Burke/Cristina thing!! Why is he with her?? She's so stinkin' immature! She thinks he's withholding surgery because she fell asleep during sex? I think he's withholding surgery because he sees that she is using their relationship to get what she wants for her career and he's about to get really sick of it. But now he's been shot, so who knows what will happen with all of that?

So here I am, waiting with bated breath for tonight's season finale.

 
At 10:17 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

NC-thanks. I'm probably going to have to do something like that. Or at least take up drinking, as everyone suggests. This whole "three hours a night" is getting old. I don't require a LOT of sleep, but I need more than this.

Malia-remind me, and I'll bring my copy of GA Season 1 to lend you at the Blogger thing on Saturday. (I'm putting this in comments instead of email so all of you who are coming can put the screws to me if I forget.) Also, are you the person who likes Black Cherry Vanilla Coke? Because I have 11 cans here to get rid of. I'll bring those also, if you're the person who likes them.

Everybody Else-If I bring some more of my old paperbacks to the blogger thing, will anyone want to take them off my hands?

 
At 11:06 AM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the insomnia. That sucks. I won't post a bunch of suggestions because I'm sure you've thought of them (and newscoma's ambien/tea thing is worth a try). Anyway, hope it gets better soon.

I'm with you on the G'kar episodes. They were by far my favorites. I was really saddened a few months ago when I learned that Andreas Katsulas had died. He used to be the One-Armed Man to me, but after B5 he'll forever be the red-eyed fallen saint.

Jason

 
At 2:37 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

That Ayyyyyyyyyy sound you heard was the Fonz himself...

 
At 5:04 PM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Dude, Roseanne's sister is toast.'

I laughed really hard at that one. It's kind of fun to see people who you never thought would/should be on TV again.

 
At 5:53 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

You know what I do for nights I can't sleep? I go to the krogah and get me some generic "Sleep Aid" tablets. They help me sleep, but, dang, if they don't start to dissolve before you swaller em.

 
At 2:23 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Thanks, but no thanks on the Black Cherry Vanilla Coke. I was drinking the diet version, but I just really prefer plain old cherry (diet or regular). But I appreciate the offer. Thanks and yes please bring GA season one! You rock, plus it gives us a good excuse to get together and have lunch so that I can return them to you when I'm finished catchin' up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home