13 July, 2006

Kathy Griffin Isn't Funny Anymore

There. I said it.

I used to LOVE Kathy Griffin, when her act was all about calling bulls--- on celebrity nonsense. When she was the voice of Everyman inside the glitz-and-glamour camp.

But this season's episode of My Life On The D-List has been one long session of whining. She hates the president. She hates the war. She has to be on a diet. Her marriage is rocky. She has to work for a living. Boo hoo

In short, she's transformed from being a whacky friend you'd love to have lunch with into yet another middle-aged harpy in need of hormone therapy.

No, I'm not so bugged by her left-wing politics. Many of the people I know share her views--I'm used to it. I don't care if you hate the president and the war. Fine. That's your business. I'm quite bugged by the way she CONSTANTLY refers to her fans and the men she pals around with as "her gays". She talks about gay people in the same way she talks about her wild, untrained dogs.

And yes, the way she treats those dogs bothers me.

But what bothers me the most is that she has decided that she's too Big for what she does best--knocking the A-listers down a peg.

7 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Jasmine said...

Someday I'll have to tell you about the time I met Kathy Griffin and had dinner with her and a group of "her gays" a few years ago. I stopped being a fan after that night, having seen her not-so-d-list behavior at the restaurant.

 
At 10:45 AM, July 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell it now!

Kat, you are spot on. Until about a week ago, I liked Griffin's routine and looked forward to her stand-up specials on Bravo. Now, not so much.

 
At 11:12 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Southern Girl said...

I have *never* liked Kathy Griffin -- that sort of "insult humor" is repugnant to me, mostly because she doesn't pick on what a celebrity *does* nearly as she does innate qualities of the person. And that's just mean.

That said, Alka-Selzer was brilliant to put her in one of their ad campaigns. Goodness knows she upsets *my* stomach. Maybe I need to reach for the Alka-Selzer.

 
At 11:24 AM, July 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does she treat her dogs?! I don't have cable.

 
At 12:43 PM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Fried, you must tell! Although I bet I can do a really good job without having been there. I bet it involves her faking nice to all the gay men, acting like a diva to the waitstaff and then bitching about everyone and everything.

And heaven forbid any of "her gays" (like they're Hummel figurines or some other object she collects instead of actual people) crosses her. She'll cut you dead.

Brittney--It's hard to describe how she treats her dogs, but since you have a dog you'll maybe get what I'm talking about. She never seems to really care about the dogs as beings she's taken responsibility for. She's sort of cool with them when she wants to have a doggie around, but she won't set any limits for them and has no concern for their safety. She lives on a hill and appears to let them just roam around in the brambles on the hillside. She doesn't seem to have integrated them into her actual pack--they're just around for her to take advantage of when she needs them. It's hard to explain other than to say that she's selfish and to me her selfishness appears to actually at times put the dogs' lives at risk.

The fact that one of her dogs was hit by a car kind of feeds into my theory. (Yes dogs sometimes get out and get hit by cars and that's not always the owners' fault. But if you have a dog that is NEVER limited to your property and allowed to roam free ALL THE TIME then yeah, you're partly to blame when someone hits your dog in the road.)

 
At 4:43 PM, July 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What sealed it for me was her inability to house train them and the "hilarious" story of them running wild at the Palm Springs Hotel.

If you and your assistant and your gays and your deadbeat husband and your retinue of sycophants can't find the time to teach a dog to shit outside, you don't need a dog.

 
At 11:23 AM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Jasmine said...

Gosh, Kat, it's like you're psychic. You nailed all of it, except for the part where she ignored the really nice and cute and interesting lesbian couple who were at the table. Her husband, though, was totally sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home