16 July, 2006

Let's Try This Again

So I wrote this really long post about Hegel and Herzl and Israel and the World Spirit, but I couldn't even proofread it without boring myself to tears. So I'm not inflicting in upon you. That doesn't mean that I don't have well-thought-out ideas for my positions, that my worldview isn't educated and prepared. It just means that I don't think everyone has to share everything about what they think all the time.

I care about the world stage. I pay attention and I know what's going on and I have a good philosophy that backs up my positions. But doggone it, when I sit down at the computer to type a blog post it's sometimes going to be about dumb stuff like Pirates (seen it twice, am going to see it again) and the new 7-Up with fruit juice. (Yummy)

I like Politics. I always have. But when I'm standing at the door to Fellowship Hall eating a cookie I don't want some strange woman telling me that Ed Bryant needs to just drop out of the race because he's screwing it up for Van Hileary and Bob Corker will win and the world will end in a fiery doom not unlike the end of Return Of The King. Only this time there will be no giant eagles to fly us to safety because Ed Bryant will have roasted them all for his triumphant feast at the Devil's Dining Hall.

I like discussions about World Governments. But when people who are safely ensconsed in the center of the U.S. and far away from any most aggressors decide to declare Israel guilty of warcrimes I think it's safe to say "feh." I mean, come on. Those of us who have supported the Iraq War get a lot of "Chicken Hawk" and "Keyboard Commando" crap slung at us. I'm fully prepared to toss those snideries right back at you and say "Hey...walk a few miles in Israel's shoes and then we'll talk war crimes." What, you don't want to walk a mile? Would you be willing to take an Israeli bus?

I have to admit that I'm both embarrassed and pleased that my greatest problems in life right now include the following:

1. I have to have a surgery soon.
Dudes, I just rewatched the How Titus Pullo Brought Down The Republic episode of Rome. That guy had people sawing into his brain while he bit down on a stick. I get to have a surgery that was impossible 50 years ago and I get to have it with anesthesia. So in the grand scheme of things, I'm lucky.

2. My Electric bill is high.
But I have air conditioning. Even when I was a kid 30 years ago, Central Air was a rarity reserved for hotel rooms. That I don't have to sleep on the floor in the family room when it gets above 80 degrees outside is a great development.

3. Al Gore on the cover of Entertainment Weekly
"Summer's Unlikeliest Movie Star" my white butt. Please. Just because the sixty people who listen to Air America turned off their radios to go see his documentary in the Activities Halls of their local Universities while snacking on granola from Wild Oats, Al Gore is NOT a "movie star." Movie stars don't grow beards and get a little scary. Scratch that. Sometimes they do. But nevertheless. Al Gore is many things, but he is not a movie star. Let's just have Jack Sparrow on the cover of all EWs for the rest of the year.

4. Comcast On Demand
This is TV Crack, yo. You see, I've been trying to watch The Wire (after seemingly countless recommendations) and rewatch Rome (for all the Titus Pullo goodness) but I can't work the control. I keep hitting "exit" when I mean to hit "last". And let's not get started about the transmission dropouts. So yes, it allows you to freebase good TV at an alarming rate. But yet it also has the Pryor-like effect of frequently setting you on fire.

So all in all I'm pretty happy and we'll save the Hegel for another day.

8 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Jill said...

I must confess that I am purposefully and terribly ignorant when it comes to the other side of the world. I get information, but it usually comes filtered through others discussions (of which I rarely take a part in). I do care, I just get caught up is my own issues and run out of time at the end of the day. I seem more concerned with checking a few blogs, than checking the latest news.

Good luck on your surgery.
Thank the Lord for air conditioning and electricity.
Al Gore--Blagh.
I like my Tivo.

 
At 10:29 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

I've tried Comcast on demand twice, but until they meet my demands of having a better interface and better controls, they won't be demanding the $15.95 a month for the digital cable box from me.

Maybe, just maybe when the Comcast DVRs get the Tivo software then we will have found nirvana. I still think Comcast will find a way to screw it up.

What we really need in Nashville is more competition. Where are you, FIOS!?!

 
At 10:35 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

DVR with Dish Network is an additional $5 a month, with free equipment if you pass a credit check.

(Guess what my job is in the real world, heh heh.)

 
At 5:36 PM, July 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered walking a mile in a Palestinian's shoes?

 
At 6:01 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

Do they come with free ball-bearing laced explosives?

 
At 6:41 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

I take that last comment back (sort of). Those who put on the ball-bearing laced explosives to go for bus rides are the one most responsible for making the life of the average Palestinian less than idyllic.

 
At 10:00 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

My husband saw Al Gore's "movie". He said that if Al Gore had spoken that way, with passion, coviction and clarity, during his campaign debates he would have won the presidency. As is was, he had too many "handlers" who over analyzed every word he said/used and he came across as a patronizing prick instead.

 
At 3:41 PM, July 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could walk 1000 miles in Palestinian shoes. Nothing excuses killing innocent people in a terrorist attack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home