31 July, 2006

The Sun Also Sets On Atlanta

I'm not Ernest Hemingway. I don't like to drink, couldn't really care less about hunting and have no good way to write eloquently about all the piles of pebbles that turn life into a quarry of concern. Kidney stones, obviously. And then dogs with torn toenails, leaky faucets, microwave short-outs and another dog whose blowing his coat all add up to....ordinary. Not the troubles of giants. So this paragraph is all I'm writing about any of that. I haven't anything nice to say. So consider this my version of saying nothing at all.

I do have nice and positive things to say about this last week, though. What good are trials if you can't come away with a nice memory or two? I had several people offer to drive far out of their way to bring me things. I couldn't take any of them up on it, but the fact that the offers were made just really made me feel loved in a way that meant a lot during all of this.

The other "positive" thing is that I seem to have lost my taste for soda. That may not seem like a big deal to most people, but I crave soda the way Hemingway craved his whiskey. (Or rum. Or whatever he drank.) I haven't had a soda for a full week now. And at the risk of sounding like I'm whistling past the graveyard, I don't miss it. The worst of the caffeine headaches were also when I was getting the anesthesia out of my system, so I killed two birds with one stone. I'm trying very hard to not be one of those zealous converts, and I'm not here to say all manner of bad things about Demon Coke. Because I enjoyed drinking it for many years and I don't think it should be illegal or heavily-taxed or whathaveyou. I'm just really glad to have eliminated it from my diet. Ironically, it's doubtful that I had the type of stones caused by soda, so cutting it out of my diet may have little effect on whether or not the whole thing happens again. Regardless, I have better skin, my eyes are clearer and my hair seems less brittle. Although there is a part of me that thinks I'm imagining all of these goodies as a way to talk myself out of getting back on the red-and-white wagon. Heh. We'll see, I suppose.

3 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to go all told-you-so or anything, but I'm glad to hear you've dropped caffeinne. You won't regret it (though if memory serves, it was at least 2 weeks before my body was fully purged, and a month before I lost the cravings (physical and psycological) for sodeepop. I encourage you to keep at it. If you think you feel good now, you'll be amazed at how you feel in a few weeks. Plus, I think dropping all that sugar and calories contributed mightily to my relatively easy 30 lb weight loss. Good luck and keep us posted on how the cravings go!

Jason

 
At 12:59 PM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last drink of caffeine I had was on May 23th ( feel like I should get a little red chip or something...). I was absolutely wonky over not getting to have my precious diet coke for about a month. Now I'm doing great. Of course, I've also discovered caffeine free diet coke. :)

My hair is still quite brittle, but my skin is better too. But I didn't magically lose 30 pounds after quitting (dangit!!). Ah, but life goes on... even if it is a little diminished by not having my weekly dose of magnificant chai latte from Starbucks.

 
At 9:38 PM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soda is tricky business. I have given it up twice before, but I'm too in love with caffeine / dependent on it. My weakness is coffee now. I've got so darn much of it now and I've got two different coffeemakers to fulfill my needs.

My high school health teacher maintained that soda makes ones body retain water, so weight loss should come naturally if one drinks lots of water instead of soda.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home