07 August, 2006

Four-Eyes and God

I've spent a lot of time lately wondering why God does things. Or allows things. Or doesn't prevent things. Or whatever. No, I'm not tempted to stop believing in God, although I can see why atheism is a comfort to some. The thought of things happening by random acts of circumstance can be oddly comforting, especially when contrasted with the thought of an all-powerful Somebody who seems at times to be rather capricious in His allpowerfullness.

But, as it happens, I'm God's man through and through, as it were. So instead of covering my eyes and ears to God I just sort of look and say "wha?!?" a lot. It's become rather irksome, some of the things He seems to let slip by--like Lucy and Ethel at the candy conveyer belt.

Then the other day I woke up from a nap. I sleep with my dogs in the bedroom, one on either side of the bed. Our sleeping is a routine, and so is our getting up. They know what clothes I change into when I get out of bed, and wait patiently. And they also always wait by the door and watch for me to put on my glasses. That's the all-clear. Without the glasses it could be a bathroom trip, but once the glasses go on, they know we're leaving the bedroom.

They have no idea what the glasses are or what the glasses are for. The concepts of the things I need the glasses to do are beyond them. Reading? Driving? Looking at a clock? All mundane circumstances to me, mysterious to them. They see me put on the glasses. They know that the glasses are a part of me and affect all my actions. But they don't understand why.

And, seriously, last Thursday when I put my glasses on and looked at my dog looking at me I realised that God was using that insane white fluff ball to attempt to explain something to me. I see Him doing things--things that are the tip of the iceberg, that have a farther-reaching effect than I can even comprehend. So now, with all these life things bugging me of late I've just been telling myself that God is putting on His glasses. And maybe when I leave this room I'll understand more, even if I don't ever get the whole thing down.

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

You ever seen the movie "Latter Days?"

This post reminds me of a line from that film:

Well, when I was a little kid, I use to put my nose right up to them [the Sunday Comics]. And I was just amazed because it looked like this mass of dots, and none of it made sense until I pulled back. Life looks like that mass of dots to me sometimes. None of it makes any sense, but I like to think that, from God's perspective, life, everything - even this - make sense. It's not just dots. Instead we're all connected, and it's beautiful and funny and good.

 
At 3:27 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

By the way, research has shown that one of the major differences between wolves and dogs is that a dog can recognize facial expressions. Wolves, if hungry, will eat you whether you are sad or happy.

 
At 5:38 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Jamie said...

I love moments of realization. Often, when I think I've learned it all (even though I know I haven't, I guess I mean, learned or realized all I'm supposed to), something small will stimulate that part of my brain and I'll have a thought similar to what you've described.

That's one of the best parts about reading...seems other people can put things into words much better than I can. Much like you do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home