04 August, 2006

Odds and Odders II: Friday Lazy Blogging

Each of these topics could be a full post if I had more ambition to flesh them out. But I also think that they could be boring if they were too fleshed out. So here it is.

1. I have a real problem with cannabalism. For some reason, the thought of humans eating other humans troubles me like nothing else in the world. I can hear tales of incest, murder and any other taboo you've got. They bother me, but nothing like the visceral dread that I feel whenever anyone starts in with the long pig. It's one of the reasons I stay away from seafaring stories and anything that involves being stranded on an island. I only got into Lost when they assured us in some magazine article that there would be no cannibalism.

So of course you can imagine how magnificent my nightmares were on Wednesday night after lunch with this person. He has been reading some book that features cannibalism prominantly. And he told us about it. Right after we had eaten barbecue. And of course I immediately start thinking Fried Green Tomatoes. And just ugh.

And then during my umpteenth viewing of Dress To Kill, Eddie Izzard goes into the whole American-dream-babies-on-spikes thing. Urgh. Cake, please.

2. Jerry Maguire was once one of my favourite movies. I love that tale of redemption. I rewatched my DVD a few days ago. I can't believe it's possible, but Tom Cruise has ruined that film for me in retrospect. For years I could sit through it and just feel the Cameron Crowe love wash over me while I ignored the more japing moments from that psychotic nitwit. Not anymore.

3. I am really loving that new BBC series, Life On Mars. Well, new to America, that is. Yes, it is another police procedural, but they do such a good job with the time-travel twist that it makes for an interesting time.

4. On a related note, I have one request for people in the business of making movies and/or television shows:
PLEASE STOP PLAYING BABA O'RILEY FOR AMBIANCE IN YOUR PRODUCTIONS

Don't get me wrong. I love that song. But I think I've seen it used for scoring on 5 seperate occasions this past week. I would encourage fans of this song to look into "You Better You Bet" or even, dare I say it? "Squeeze Box". There are many many Who songs available for that adrenaline rush. Please check them out.

3 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Sarcastro said...

Sure, probably it wasn't proper meal time conversation. But I waited, at least, until we were finished.

Funny enough, in Polynesia, they refer to humans fit for consumption as "long pig". Although, their's can't be as good as Mothership's.

 
At 9:07 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Busy Mom said...

Heh, "fleshed out", "cannibalism".

 
At 10:54 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Funny enough, in Polynesia, they refer to humans fit for consumption as "long pig".

As did I, right there in the 3rd sentence. ;-p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home