01 August, 2006

Voting, Early Voting and Real Life

I've been slowly catching up on blogreads that I missed over the last week and a half. I missed some HUGE stuff. Like Pink Kitty's birthday. Happy birthday, almost a week later. Grrrrr.

In politics it seems like the big thing I missed was everyone hashing out the low turnout for early voting. What Does It All Mean, etc.

Allow me. I have one foot in the grave world of politics and the other foot in the land of people who watch The N on a semi-regular basis. Why didn't anyone vote early, you ask?

Because it's summer time. People have to take their kids to VBS, go to family vacations and spend obscene amounts of time in the grocery store stocking up for long weekends at the lake cottage. They are out on Percy Priest Lake on their boats or at Sonic buying blue coconut Sprite and onion rings. (Sonic dips their o-rings in vanilla soft-serve before battering and frying them, thus creating a groovy taste.)

People do not want to vote right now. Yes, I realise that it is a priviledge, a right of all Americans and the solemn duty of the free. But for most of us out there, voting is a huge errand. It's like going to the eye doctor or the dry cleaners, but with the added frisson of conflict lurking underneath. Would you hope right up to get your teeth cleaned if you were pretty sure that you were in direct opposition to half the people in the waiting room, the hygenist and the people who supply the flouride?

Voting is all of those things, and no one wants to do it early as long as Early falls in the summer.

And that's my theory.

3 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonic dips their o-rings in vanilla soft-serve before battering and frying them, thus creating a groovy taste.

That is not true, is it? [I''m so gullible.] The boyfriend and I tried some Sonic onion rings for the first time the other day and found them far too sweet. I didn't notice a vanilla taste though...

 
At 11:28 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I either read it or heard it on TV a few years ago and it stuck with me, so I'm 98% sure it's true. Although since I can't find a source right now to back up my recollection I have that 2% room for doubt.

I actually prefer the sweeter onion taste. The other people who do good sweet onions are Logan's. They soak theirs in a beer before grilling them.

I think I may be hungry for onions.

 
At 11:50 AM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had some Sonic onion rings the other day and marvelled at the taste.

Mystery solved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home