01 September, 2006

Mommy Blogging

I am not a mommy blogger. Not that there's anything wrong with being a Mommy Blogger. I sometimes wish I were because it seems that's about the only way to get a paid blogging gig. (Shouts out to Ivy and Lindsey)

The thing about being a mommy blogger is that there's a small fly in the ointment. Children. Other than the having and rearing of complete human beings the whole Mommy Blog thing sounds like a fantastic gig.

I used to think I wanted children desperately. Then I thought I wanted children badly. Now I think that while I like the idea of children I wonder if I'm at all capable of seeing the project through to completion. This whole dog crisis has set the wheels a-turning in my mind. I've been turned ass over tit (there's a good one for the ladies!) by the fact that I have a limping dog. What would happen if little Eustace S. Coble were to scrape his knee? Have a cold?

Heather tells the story of her rocky pregnancy as well as one of her friends'. Heather's story has a happy ending--the other lady, not so much. I read these things and think "Oh dear God. I am not emotionally equipped for that." Because I know I'm not.

I readShauna's tales of a sleepless Pea and am amazed at the inner strength all these women possess. Where does it come from? Can you buy it? Would you bottle it and sell it?

So here's my bit of Mommy blogging, such as it is. No one is teething or has missed the school bus. It's just one poor seven-year-old dog who has to have an x-ray and a biopsy today. I hope for good news, but I fear the worst. I don't want to have to see his brother (also a dog) go through the broken heart of missing his playmate. I don't want to have to miss hugging his furry black neck. I get that this is what it means to be an adult. And if this is adulthood I'm not so sure I'm a big fan.

So Eustace S. and Sissy J. Coble, if you are listening up there let me assure you that you are indeed welcome here. But you may have a bit of an overprotective mother.

7 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, September 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be scared. I think the strength comes from the hormones. I used to sleep 10 hours a night, cry at those Readers Digest animal stories and recoil at the thought of changing a baby's diaper. It's the "mother bear" thing - the strength and fortitude comes with the kids. Really. Jump in. The water's fine.

 
At 7:49 AM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

I never really thought of myself as a mommy blogger- hell, I eschewed the idea, until I got a paid gig as a mommy blogger, then I had to take my "standards" and stuff 'em, ha.

I always thought of my non-mom pals, that you would make the best mother out of all of them. Until I saw "Eustace S. Coble", hahaha. Just kidding. Sort of. Never name your kid anything odd, unless you like your kid getting beat up all the time. ;)

The strength, we all have it within us somewhere becuase we are women. It's not a mommy thing, it's a women thing, and you don't even know you have it until the shit comes piling in on you. Men have that strength as well, but it's a different kind of strength, it's the ability to pull a tooth and not be totally squicked out by it, it's the lay down the law to your kids and they listen, really listen.

Anyway.

 
At 8:51 AM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Busy Mom said...

I hope you get good news for the puppy dog.

 
At 10:49 AM, September 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to be a blogger, not a mommy blogger. But it seems that the mommy things are the things that get linked to, and commented on, and so on.

Eustace and Sissy don't know what they're missing. They should ask those lucky dogs.

 
At 10:51 AM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I'm sorry about your dog- I hope everything turns out okay.

And I'm with Ivy. I just started blogging one day, not even knowing that "mommy bloggers" existed. Over time, they came to me. Sometimes I hate being firmly entrenched in the Mommyblogger category, because I don't think I'm writing specifically for moms- I just happen to be one- but I can't deny that the label has done a lot of great things for me...

 
At 1:02 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I can tell you I certainly didn't think I had the strength for any of it and I had the happy ending.

Other than my husband, Ivy has been one of my greatest supporters over the past few years. Being a mom is a large part of who I am, but it is not central to my identity. A little part of me worries for some of the women I know who seem to have lost their personal identity. Children grow up and leave, we do the best we can with the time we have.

Ivy raises a good point about inner strength.

 
At 1:09 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I always thought of my non-mom pals, that you would make the best mother out of all of them.

Well, that's a good thing. I think.

Until I saw "Eustace S. Coble", hahaha. Just kidding. Sort of.

The names are joke names. Which I stole from Eustace Scrubb and Sissy Jupe, two of literature's most horrible childhoods...up to a point.

Don't worry. I would never call a child Eustace. Unless it was a really difficult labour.

The strength, we all have it within us somewhere becuase we are women. It's not a mommy thing, it's a women thing, and you don't even know you have it until the shit comes piling in on you.

Good, I think. Although I wouldn't mind having a little bit in advance of that, just so the piling-on wouldn't be so rough.

But it seems that the mommy things are the things that get linked to, and commented on, and so on.

I think that many bloggers are parents, and that gives a less frightening common ground than politics or religion. So people go with it. I think Mommy blogging is a good thing when it's done well. And all the mommy bloggers I know do it well. I have read a few that should be exiled to MySpace, but they don't even live around here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home