28 September, 2006

Wherein My Body Betrays Me

When people have food allergies, it's usually kind of a good thing in a roundabout way. It can keep them away from foods that are not the best thing for you. Allergic to nuts? Snickers bars are off the table. Allergic to dairy? Bye-bye Ben & Jerry!

I appear to be developing an allergy to carrots.

Carrots. That ubiquitous diet food, that healthy snack, that "don't reach for the candy, reach for the carrot!" carrot.

Apparently if I were a donkey you were trying to manipulate, your little reward for my good behaviour would kill me. And how would that make you feel, you donkey-slayer?

Twice in the last week and a half, I (as part of an ongoing campaign to reform my public image) have eaten carrots. Both times I've come away with a sore throat, a severely swollen tongue and body aches. So it's either the carrots or someone at church was feeding me cat hair on the sly.


How like me. I'm like one of the misfit kids on the Wonka tour. Little roly-poly four-eyed brunette who gets ejected from the factory because she won't eat her veggies.

I wonder if this means I can't watch Veggie Tales. Is there even a carrot in Veggie Tales?

2 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, September 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you describe is what doctors refer to as sensitization. For some reason your body has decided that it doesn't like carrots so it's working up to an allergic reaction. Be careful here. The next time (or maybe the time after that), your body may go into full-blown anaphylactic shock. You really need to be near a hospital, or have access to massive doses of benadryl if that happens. I've been there and it's not fun (you like to breathe, don't you?).

Alternately, you might be allergic to the pesticide that was used on the carrots, or there may be some other source for the reaction (the detergent used on the dishes, or maybe it's really peanuts and someone used the peanut butter knife to cut the carrots). I THINK I know what put me into AP shock years ago, but I'm still not 100% certain.

 
At 10:56 AM, September 28, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

The Boyfriend™ is allergic to both wheat and dairy (and maybe yeast). Living without certian foods take some getting used to but, after five years, I don't even really think about it anymore. You get to where you just know what you can buy and what you cant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home