31 October, 2006

Mightiest In The Mightiest

Claudia Nunez screwed up. She came here from El Salvador on a six-month visa, which she then overstayed by four and a half years.

Claudia Nunez screwed up again. She was driving without a license and received a ticket. Like most people who are essentially well-intentioned, she went to pay the ticket. She was promptly jailed for immigration violations, and stands to be deported to El Salvador. Because of current conditions in El Salvador, this amounts to a death sentence much in the vein of Pontius Pilate.

Claudia Nunez will leave behind three legal U.S. residents--her husband and two daughters.

I was supposed to meet Ms. Nunez last night, but was unable to. I understand that Mack is attempting to arrange another meeting with Mrs. Nunez and her attorney for those who are interested.

I do have some questions about Mrs. Nunez' immigrant status, namely why she allowed it to reach this point. I also must go on record as stating that I don't think it is fair for some immigrants to go through all the hoops to be here, while others who fail to follow the required red tape expect amnesty without penalty. If I had my way, immigrants such as Mrs. Nunez would be allowed to stay in the country, but they would have to follow the same red tape as other immigrants. They would also have to pay a fine, similar to IRS penalties levied for late payment of taxes. I believe in three things: Justice, mercy and consequences. That type of solution seems to be the most equitable outcome for all concerned. It allows a woman who has made her life here to keep that life, while at the same time acknowledging that she has violated what is essentially a civil, not criminal, law.

Some other writer once said
[Mercy] is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice.


Mercy would allow Mrs. Nunez to be a mother to her children.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

Kat, I think you and I both have been following this all day. I do agree with you that the law is there, but it is too broad and doesn't take in certain considerations.
I want her to be with her children. I believe this situation could bring to light that situations are not always so cut and dry.
I agree as well, Mercy is the way to go here.

 
At 10:32 AM, November 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just blogged my lengthy response.

Claudia Nunez had for years to get her act together. Now she's crying mercy?

~ Lacy

 
At 8:23 PM, November 01, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

C'mon Kat. How do you expect your conservative brethren to ever take you seriously if you keep showing that you have a heart and basic human decency?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home