10 November, 2006

Sweet Sweet Nostalgia


I don't know what it is about this weather that's been sending me down memory lane, but I had another trip down the mind hole yesterday, thinking about Slap Stix suckers. Yes, the concept of a carmel and banana lollipop sounds disGUSTing on paper, but trust me. They were fabulous.

One fall my school sold candy in the afternoons as a fundraiser. (Yes, I can hear Chris going into apoplectic shock as I write this.) Slap Stix were a dime each, so I naturally bought 10 of them. I'd then spend long evenings at home with my little pile of suckers and my copy of Arabian Nights. Trust me when I say there's nothing like sucking on sugar while reading a fantastical story. Nothing. In fact, I blame those early days for my current fascination with The Boy Who Lived.

Now that I think about it, a life has been influenced by those crazy suckers.

The good news is that you can find anything on the internet. So when I looked up "Slap Stix" yesterday, lo and behold--you can still get them here. I love the web. Although my waistline will be somewhat less forgiving.

3 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard of or seen this confection. Interesting.

 
At 5:38 PM, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More like per-diabetic hyperinsulinic shock.

But: mmm, artificial banana

 
At 11:08 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger Lynnster said...

I've never seen those either but I love caramel & banana...

I'm intrigued, I thought there were no non-chocolate candies anywhere in the US I had never seen... hmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home