21 December, 2006

Harry Potter Book 7 Title Announced

Funny...

I bet my husband that we'd have it this week, but I was assuming it would be by Tuesday.

Anyway,


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


Yeah, THAT title won't put an end to the Potter Dead Pool any time soon.

Update

So now that I've posted the news, I guess it's time for me to speculate on the meaning before I get sick of everyone speculating on the meaning. I'll never forget the long trudge through 600 permutations of who or what the Half Blood Prince was, only to have it be an ancillary part of the actual story. Same with "Goblet of Fire."

Well, breaking it down, I'll have to go with:

Hallows=saints/sacred place
Deathly=causing death/of or pertaining to death

My best guess is that at some point in book 7 Harry will have some type of communication with those Beyond the Veil in the Department of Mysteries. Many mythic cycles include a Hero's Descent into the Underworld, and while I've never considered the space Behind The Veil to be "the underworld", it is quite obviously the Mystery of Death.

Now, I don't know for certain that JKR wishes to plumb those depths, and I don't know that it means that Harry will die, even if only temporarily. I've never been one to ascribe complete Christ analogy to Harry, so I don't think we'll see his death/resurrection in Book 7. But I do think there will be a level of communication with those now dead, especially Sirius.

I've also not entirely written off Regulus Black as dead and gone entirely, and it may be he who guides Harry on this particular journey.


But I will say that having the title now does fit with the timeline we needed to have the book on 07/07/07--which is still the date I've got my money on.

2 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, December 22, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

I've lost confidence in a summer release date, actually. Just a few days before she announced the title, she still sounded as if she was working on the first draft. I'm more hopeful for pre-Christmas 2007.

The title is growing on me.

 
At 2:13 PM, December 23, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

Also, a friend of mine from the UK pointed something out to me a while back that makes me dubious about a 07/07/07 release specifically. The UK publishers at least - and perhaps even Rowling herself - might be reluctant to use that date because of the London bombings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home