15 December, 2006

Hi. In This Post I Make Observations and Share A Beloved Recipe

I have a bundle of half-formed thoughts again...nothing worth an entire post. But I want to throw them out there because I only take Christmas week off from blogging. Or so I tell myself.

--Wow on the Miss USA thing. I mean, I get there are standards of conduct and that you sign a contract saying you'll be a role model and whatnot. But honestly, having your personal life evaluated for wholesomeness by Donald Trump has got to sting just a little bit.

--I think the Senator who has fallen ill should be replaced by someone else elected by the people. Failing that, he should be replaced by a member of his own party. But if he isn't, and they replace him with a Republican I have only two words. Jim Jeffords.

--Last night's The Office was a Christmas treat and a half. Jim's speech about rebounding (while staring in the direction of the receptionist's desk) was all the present I needed. From NBC that is. Family members feel free to give me gifts. ;=p

--Asking for money on your blog is a personal choice. Some people do, some people don't. I don't really mind seeing tipjars and wishlist links on blog sites, but I mind being ASKED in a post to "hit the tipjar". Then again, I'm the curmudgeonly type who also minds when the Salvation Army people ring their bells in my face. Dude, I know you're there. I hear the bell and I see the bucket. No need to shake it harder at me when I walk by. Keep that up and I'll complain to both the Salvation Army and the Kroger at Providence. In either case--blogging or the Salvation Army--you are begging. Plain and simple. At least have the decency to beg a bit more discreetly. Oh, and one more thing, if you are a blogger who has a tipjar or a wishlist, don't ask me to hit it when you don't blog at least three times a week. Or when your blog consists mostly of AP feeds re-posted.

--A few years ago I had this co-worker introduce me to a Christmas candy that's like crack to me. It's simple as all get-out but I can't make it very often because I eat through the whole batch in a matter of minutes. It's just Rolos, mini pretzels and pecans. Unwrap the Rolos, set them on the mini pretzels and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 250ยบ. When you take them out of the oven the Rolos should just be soft. Press one pecan in the top of each Rolo. And that's it. Sweet, salty and caramelly. Homemade Turtles at a fraction of the price. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

10 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, those rolos sound so yummy!! If I can make it past the Salvo at Kroger, I'm going to buy myself those ingredients!!

 
At 11:55 AM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Amy said...

those Rolo pretzels are FANTASTIC. we like to use the square windowpane pretzels. SO YUMMY...we've taken them to small group twice and they get gobbled up.

a good variation (not quite as yummy, but still fun and festive) is using mini-twist pretzels, Hershey's hugs or kisses (I like the hugs better for this) and red and green M&Ms.

 
At 1:56 PM, December 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ho. Lee. Crap. That recipe sounds awesome.

 
At 3:05 PM, December 15, 2006, Blogger saraclark said...

Those are crack. I've made them just a few at a time in the toaster oven, oh my. Thank god the foil slows you down with the unwrapping.

Have you tried the Snyder's pretzel sandwiches that are chocolate dipped? Equally dangerous.

 
At 3:18 PM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Sonia said...

I hate being propositioned by those blasted girl scouts outside of wally world. Damn them and their crack like cookies.

 
At 4:18 PM, December 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Salvation Army has ever tested just putting the kettle out with no bell ringer...I think I'd be more inclined to donate without the bell clanging.

 
At 5:23 PM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Rob Robinson said...

I'm with you on The Office episode, Kat. I even gave you a shoutout related to that huge double-digit blogger "discussionment" (that's discussion + argument) awhile back about Jim and Pam on my blog this morning.

How long do you think they'll string J+P out until it becomes something? Based on the Rachel and Ross theory--you know, how Friends suffered a bit once they got together until they went "on a break"--maybe the show should keep things festering, but not boiling, for a while.

 
At 9:59 PM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

Ho. Lee. Crap. That recipe sounds awesome.

Don't be bringing me into this Brittney.

And I saw that whole thing about Miss America (aka Miss Kentucky) and all I could think was...

"Yeah, we know how to party in the Bluegrass."

 
At 8:31 AM, December 16, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

This sounds like a great recipe and I'm all about some Rolos.

 
At 11:40 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger Lynnster said...

I am making those Rolo things for sure Christmas Eve or Day, thanks for sharing. I won't be able to eat but a couple, but I think the rest of my family will go berserk.

And I'm with you on the door thing. I don't want people on my doorstep unless they're supposed to be there, not only for the reasons you outlined but it sets off a cacophony of barking when people do that that I can do without...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home