20 February, 2007

A Confession

When I was in college I wanted to be a philosopher. Not for any good reason, but because I thought that philosophy was cool--still do.

What was even cooler to me was the idea of having an entire school of thought named after you. Pythagorian. Hegelian. So while a lot of girls are scribbling their names with their boyfriends' last names in an effort to play married, I was scribbling the possible names of my school of thought.

My maiden name didn't lend itself very well, being awkward and clunky. So for years I decided to call my as-yet-unformed school of thought the Katherinian school. (All of this is pathetic insofar as I had no actual thoughts)

I was so happy when I married a man whose last name made a good "School Of Thought" name. Although now I wonder if I should pronounce it ko-BELL-ian or KO-blee-en. The last name is pronounced KO-buhl.* So it could go either way.

Someday maybe I'll even rename my blog "The Coblian Discourses" or some other pretentious horse-pucky like that.



*Take note, telemarketers.

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, February 20, 2007, Blogger Slartibartfast said...

*When I was in college I wanted to be a philosopher. Not for any good reason, but because I thought that philosophy was cool--still do.
*

This made me smile. It's so corny now, but during my short collegiate stint I had a friend who would join me at the local pizza parlor, both of us wearing tweed jackets, smoking pipes, and philosophising. We really didn't understand philosophy at the time (I was a music major, and he was an education major), we just loved the IDEA of philosphy.

We were so young and clueless. Good times.

I would pay to take a class in Coblian thought.

 
At 12:41 AM, February 21, 2007, Blogger chez bez said...

That's the coolest confession ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home