18 February, 2007

And The Dumbening Continues

I used to KILL at the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game. I could tell you the names of everyone of note in every movie I'd ever seen, and usually throw in the names of their spouses, children and pets for good measure.

Lately I've become sad at the fact that my brain appears to be dying.

Last night was a perfect example. We rented The Departed, which does win the award for Best Movie I've Ever Seen Staffed Entirely By Actors I Hate Except For David O'Hara Whom I Will Always Love For Playing Steven In Braveheart. Yet as the movie begins, and there's a scene with Matt (Hate Him) Damon, Martin (Hate Him When He's Not On West Wing) Sheen and a third guy I could not think of the third guy's name to save my life.

I made the mistake of looking at The Husband and saying "Is that Funky Bunch?" It was, indeed. So at least I still recognise people to a degree.

Later, as we were watching Brothers In Arms, The [patently evil] Husband turns to me and says "Look! It's Brother Bunch!"

So now that I'm too stupid to remember anyone's real name, I guess I've created my own hell where I have to remember people by nicknames. I think that since that's the case I've got to rename a few people I currently refer to only as "That Ass."

7 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, February 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kat, I always thought that our differences didn't mater. I admired you despite disagreeing with you about just about everything except civility. But "Best Movie I've Ever Seen Staffed Entirely By Actors I Hate Except For David O'Hara Whom I Will Always Love For Playing Steven In Braveheart"? How can you hate Matt Damon and Leo DiCaprio? Leo DiCaprio is my hope that there will be cute Italian actors who actually can act in movies I actually want to see for the rest of my lifetime. I must tell you (civilly, I hope) that you are dead to me now.

 
At 5:46 PM, February 18, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Dead to you? Like Leo's stiffly frozen body falling away from the raft into eternal darkness?

I must admit that any hatred I have of him is reactionary. I was a Titanic geek for a long time, from about the time I was 11. So when the movie came out I KNEW it would do well because The Titanic is a topic that captivates people. But all the press was about how surely the movie performed so fantastically because OF COURSE all the young girls went repeatedly to see Leo. I'm sure that was part of it, but I sure didn't like having my Epic Tragedy upstaged by Tiger Beatitis.

So, really, poor Leo has gotten a bum rap from me since then. Even though I thought he did a pretty good job in The Departed.

 
At 6:00 PM, February 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK then, you made me snigger. I guess you can live. Confession: I never saw the Titanic movie. I saw the previews nd they made me laugh. I am an evil person; every date movie in every generation (so to speak) makes me laugh. Even my generation's date movie, Romeo and Juliet, started making me laugh about 6 monhs after I saw it 3 times, bought the album, and everything. After that, they started to make me laugh on first sight. So I could tell I'd better not go see The Titanic, or I'd get beaten up right there in the theater. Therefore, I have no hatred of anyone based on their appearance in it.

I loved DiCaprio in The Departed. The scene where he is trying to convince Jack that he's not the cop, and to do this he starts playing Jack, scenery-chewing and all, was priceless.

 
At 7:16 PM, February 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brothers in Arms?

Do you mean, Band of Brothers?

 
At 7:35 PM, February 18, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Yes, I do.

That is why you should never type a blog entry while listening to Dire straits.

 
At 10:22 PM, February 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caruthers and I have resorted to nicknames too... your brain's not dying :) IT's just filled up with information that matter!

 
At 8:28 AM, February 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem. I resent that remark that knowing actor and movie names doesn't matter, because I, for one, live to play Back to Bacon and will be happy to take advantage of Kat's memory loss to beat her at my favorite game.

Regarding Leo, I always want to hate him but then end up liking him in everything I see him in, especially What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Even so, I refuse to see Black Diamond because his accent sounds so horrendously contrived.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home