16 February, 2007

Get Your Facts Straight, You Dumb Kids

Okay, how ticked off am I?

I wrote that earlier post about the most perfectestest rock song ever. Some crazy folk decided that I Fought The Law should be up for nomination. Since my clearest recollection of it was from an episode of Miami Vice where some crazy guy sang it in a convertible while drinking clam juice I decided to look it up on YouTube.

Do you know HOW MANY kids out there think this is a Green Day song? Yes, I know they covered it, but honestly, how can you not tell that it's a Sonny Curtis song? Doesn't it sound like Texas?

Of course, the fact that I hate Green Day plays into my irritation. No matter how badly they want to be The Clash it just is not going to happen. Billie Joe Armstrong can just throw his eyeliner in the trash and go away.
/greendayrant


But mostly I just get upset that in the world of electronic music there are no more liner notes, so there's no way for people to see who wrote the music and lyrics of a song. There are an awful lot of uncredited geniuses out there.

10 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hate Green Day? Uh-oh. Don't come to my funeral. ;)

 
At 1:37 PM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Chance said...

I always thought that if a band didn't include their lyrics in the liner notes, what they had to say wasn't that important.

 
At 3:01 PM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Lynnster said...

I felt the exact same way a couple of years ago when Limp Bizkit put out a cover of The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes".

I had a conversation at the time with someone who was probably about 22 or 23 that went something like this:

Her: "You know, I really like that new Limp Bizkit song, 'Behind Blue Eyes'".

Me: "Oh, you mean The Who's song 'Behind Blue Eyes'?"

Her: "Oh, wow, did they do a cover of it already? That's cool for Limp Bizkit!"

 
At 5:38 PM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Kathy T. said...

Noooooooooo!!!! How can you hate Greenday? I :::LOVE::: Greenday! Although I always thought Billie Joe wanted to be Robert Smith of The Cure.

 
At 7:29 PM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Newscoma said...

I like Green Day.
But, alas, we are all different and that's cool too.

 
At 7:32 PM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Are you all listening to some magical Green Day album I've missed all these years?

 
At 11:53 PM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Lynnster said...

"Are you all listening to some magical Green Day album I've missed all these years?"

Hehe. Saving this quote for posterity...

 
At 12:47 AM, February 17, 2007, Blogger chez bez said...

I once pretended to like Green Day just to hold my ground in a fight with a girlfriend. Is it any wonder that relationship didn't last? And now, I just happen to love Green Day anyway.

As for liner notes and lyrics and such, can't bands and artists just put it all online? Unlike many people my age, I don't miss the tangible evidence of my music. Just three chords, an MP3 file, and the truth.

 
At 4:00 PM, February 17, 2007, Blogger Lynnster said...

I have to admit I hated Green Day in the beginning. A lot of my turnoff towards them was because of the obvious Clash wannabe thing.

They've grown on me since. Not a favorite but I'm much more OK with them than I used to be.

 
At 3:09 PM, January 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not everyone has heard of sonny curtis. the comment about being wannabes was kind of uncalled for. everyone has idols

 

Post a Comment

<< Home