23 February, 2007

The Rest Of Us Just Go To A Therapist

***Spoilers for Grey's Anatomy****


The alternate title of this post was "you don't have to die to hug your mother." But I thought that might give too much away at the outset.

I do, however, think it was nice of Denny and Pink Mist and Train Girl and Mean Nurse and Dead Dog to all make an appearance at Merediith's 'getting-to-know-me' deathday party. I am, however, questioning my belief in a merciful God, given his decision to throw her back.

Between last night's Lost and tonight's Grey's Anatomy, I'm starting to realise just how tired I am of television dramas exploring exploiting Mommy & Daddy issues. I think that as a writer that's the easiest path to take when analysing your characters. Parental issues are a walk in the park, because nearly everyone has them to a degree.

Therein lies the problem. Since nearly everyone has parental issues, we've all had to work on them in our own ways. We see therapists, ministers and good friends. We take up crocheting or handball to keep our hands busy and burn off the energy. A lot of us write blogs as an exercise in exploring the people we want to be now that we can't keep blaming mommy and daddy. But not one of us out here in Viewerland gets to be as utterly cruel and self-centered as Jack on Lost and Meredith on Grey's. We have not yet been nor ever will be able to parlay the insecurities and self-doubt born of those parental issues into a festival of MEness. We do not beat up Thai tattoo artists with bad hair and we certainly don't randomly kill ourselves so that the dead will indulge us with a fifty-minute hour of talking it out.

And that's what tonight's Grey's Anatomy was. It was a rip-off of Fiscus' temporary death on St. Elsewhere, coupled with more than a few stolen grace notes from Hawkeye's journey into madness during the M*A*S*H series finale Goodbye, Farewell and Amen. The dead assemble to show Meredith the error of her ways, but seem to think that oblique hinting is a better way to do this than an outright slap across the face. Oh, I so longed to see at least one of the departed smack Meredith across her dead face and ream her out for throwing away life. Instead, Denny tells Meredith exactly why she must go on living. The upshot of his speech is that everyone at Seattle Grace believes in fairies and unicorns and rainbows and soft puppies and Meredith's Sainthood. If she gives up on life, apparently no one at Seattle Grace has reason to exist. Meredith IS the wizard, and she must return to the hospital to give George his courage, Alex his heart and Izzie her brain. Christina gets some fabulous red shoes for ninety-nine cents.

5 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, February 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted Pink Mist to start being Coach Taylor and ground Meredith until she admits she's dead and goes away forever.

You know, it's not that it bothers me exactly that Meredith is a self-absorbed drip, that Izzy is a self-absorbed beauty/romance fascist, or that Cristina is a self-absorbed perfectionist. What bothers me is that somewhere along the line Rimes decided that their self-absorbtion makes them loveable.

 
At 11:36 AM, February 23, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Exactly. It's that celebration and justification of the self-absorption that really gets to me lately.

Denny's whole speech about "You MUST live! Everyone revolves around YOU!" was the culmination of that attitude.

 
At 12:09 PM, February 23, 2007, Blogger Malia said...

Ugh. That was awful! The whole Meredith in "wherever land" with those dead characters was just plain awful. So very annoying. So very self-absorbed. The only thing I liked about it was that she did admit to giving up and letting herself drown.

I just don't get why they did this! And what was Shonda thinking by saying that they were doing something different? That wasn't really different!

Alright, I'm done (with ranting). I'm not expending anymore energy or brain power over all of this!

 
At 12:15 PM, February 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plus, Ellis was right, Meredith is ordinary.

The show has turned from being a very funny, enjoyable show about a bunch o' self-absorbed surgeons to being a weekly hour of validation for the self-absorbed set. My husband and I watch it with a sort of "how much more awful can they make these characters and still think they're wonderful?" kind of fascination. I can't wait for them to spin off Addison, so I can watch grownups again.

 
At 1:13 AM, February 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a sort of "elevator hit-and-run" encounter this morning as I met up with two other women co-workers who immediately chatted it up about this episode. One took the stairs, the other headed over to the cafeteria before going up to her office. So I was left to ride the elevator in silence with a quiet gentleman who had held the door open for all us yappin' chicks, but never said a word otherwise.

We get to his floor and he exits the elevator. He gets about three steps outside the doors and, without missing a beat or breaking his stride, and never turning back towards me, he throws out, "Meredith's a whiner!"

And the doors shut. I fall on the floor laughing so hard I'm in tears.

Yep. That about sums it up.

PS -- I met up with my co-worker who took the stairs outside the elevators, still crying with laughter (I don't know why, but it just struck me as hilarious and I got a case of the giggles I just couldn't shake; it was Friday...). She asked me, "what in the world happened to you in the elevator??" I couldn't stop laughing long enough to tell her I'd just been the victim of hit-and-run comment by an obviously disgrutled husband of a "Grey's" viewer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home