25 February, 2007

So THAT'S Why I Don't Watch Them Anymore.

I saw a grand total of 90 seconds this year. I picked two random snippets totally by accident, since we were watching videos and I flipped over to the Academy Awards during my spouse's "go get snacks" and "let out dogs" breaks.

Snippet One:

It was the red carpet pre-show. Cate Blanchette was being interviewed by some man about her brave decisions to wear belts in a bunch of her movies.

Wha?!? Didn't she just play a pedophile school teacher? And the brave decision was to wear a belt around her sweater? I guess it must have been a fashion piece. Since I'm fashion tone-deaf, that whole scope of the Oscars is lost on me.

Snippet Two:

I swear to you I'm not kidding when I say that the second time I flipped over it was Al Gore with (I think) Leo DiCaprio, faking an announcement to run for office and then being played off stage.

Now obviously I'm not Gore's biggest fan. I didn't vote for him before and I wouldn't vote for him again. But I did think long and hard about this. I would have been just as irked if it were Ronald Reagan up there.

I'm into politics in a fairly big way, as I'm sure those who know me realise. I'll watch party conventions till I'm blue in the face. But I'm very much into the seperation of Politics and Entertainment. I don't want to turn on the news to see an actor try to give political analysis (*I'm talking to you, George Clooney), and I don't want to turn on a TV show to see a politician or hear a political speech. At least Reagan had the decency to quit acting before he went into politics.

So ironically, in a nutshell, there are the two primary reasons I no longer watch: I could give a krep about fashion choices and I'd rather save politics for Monday morning.

6 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Slartibartfast said...

I didn't watch, mainly because I haven't seen any of the movies that were nominated. ANY of them.

This is a sign of advancing age, I guess. Or the fact that I have a 10 and 9 year old. I know a lot about animated movies.

The last Academy Awards show I watched was 2004 - mainly for LOTR.

As for Al Gore - I didn't see that mmovie either.

 
At 7:11 AM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you felt that strongly about the thwarted "announcement," it's a good thing you didn't see more of the show. It was as good a pre-campaign party for Gore as there could have ever been.

Personally, I thought it all was funny, and I do think I would have been funny had it been a conservative politician. I mean, hell, that kind of thing has happened enough in Schwarzenegger's political career, and the worst I can say about it is that it's usually corny and stupid.

To me, Gore had a legitimate reason to be there, and the show's writers used his presence as a platform to lighten things up. They riffed on everything else, so why not?

 
At 8:58 AM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Malia said...

At least Reagan had the decency to quit acting before he went into politics.

Well, sort of. IMO all politicians are actors to some degree!

 
At 10:16 AM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but Marty won Best Director! Finally! I was starting to think he would be like Hitchcock, and not get anything except a lifetime award after he had retired. It was worth any number of silly moments to see how happy Spielberg, Lucas, and Coppola were for him.

 
At 2:11 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

That really surprises me that it didn't win Best FL Film. As much as I felt it was mismarketed here in the states, I still think it was as well-done a film as I've seen in awhile.

 
At 11:39 AM, March 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen Degeneres was NOT funny. There were too many montages. The whole thing was nauseating. I watched it on tivo in fast forward, and I was still frustrated and sickened by the whole thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home