04 March, 2007

Battlestar Graylactica: Eleven Days From Glory

::Spoilers::

Somewhere in the world the team of Battlestar Galactica creators is burning Shonda Rhimes in effigy. Either that or seeing their collective therapists.

Because I kid you not, tonight's episode of BSG had the grave misfortune to follow the Grey's Anatomy Shocking Three-Parter! by a mere eleven days.

Just eleven days after Rhimes "did something brave" on her show, the folks at BSG DID THE EXACT SAME FRAKKIN' THING.

>>Heroine with Mommy Issues: check

>>Heroine flirts with death and in the process resolves said Mommy Issues through a touching conversation with her dead mother: check

>>Heroine is 'dead' at the end of the episode: check

>>Rest of Cast weeps copiously for their Emmy reels: check

So there I was, sprawled on the couch, and instead of wailing for Starbuck and her stove-in ship I was not so happily reliving the events of Gray's and knowing that Starbuck will Be With Us again. Oh, and about that stove-in ship....look, gal, I'm happy you got to hug it out with mama. I understand your wish to die. In fact I felt much the same thing about 23 minutes into this show when it looked like some Lost writers had been trapped in your production offices, what with the jumpy flashcuts, the characters who think that the only response to someone who has all the answers is yelling, and the Dharma logo mandala painting on the wall. But honey, those ships are hard to come by. (Anyone else remember Phoenix, a good BSG episode?) Why did you have to exit this realm by taking such a precious commodity with you? Selfish much, Starbuck?

I can't shake the feeling that somewhere on the West Coast there are pods of very happy analysts with TV-writer clients who hate their mommies and daddies. I do wish they'd gin up some type of cure, though. The rest of us are getting mighty tired of sitting through these family squabbles. And yearning for the days when the Cylons were the bad guys.

Sorry, BSG. It must truly bite nails to have your thunder stolen by a night-time soap opera.

3 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, March 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, did that really happen? And did Coach Taylor turn up in the afterlife or interlife or whatever to impart useful lessons? (I'm not a BSG watcher, I don't know this stuff.)

Sometimes I notice that several comic strips all use the same (non-political) joke in the same week and I figure there's a bunch of cartoonists who get together and pitch ideas to each other. But I never heard of it happening on prime time TV before.

 
At 3:18 PM, March 05, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Yes, it really happened.

No Coach Taylor, but another male character (the Cylon Leoben) did play the Virgil role. Well, it was more of a cross between Virgil and the Ghost of Christmas Past. But still.

I see it a lot in crime shows--L&O: Original Formula and CSI: Original Formula both did stories on people who got cancer from illicit bone transplants a few weeks ago.

But this is the first time I've seen it happen cross-genre like this. Seems lots of folks have parental issues & Death on their minds these days. Yeah. Like THAT's new.

 
At 4:03 PM, March 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hardly catch any L&O shows anymore since Lenny Briscoe died, so I missed that one.

And I know it must have been quite a drag for you as a fan, but I can't help it, a BSG/Grey's cross-genre mashup like that strikes me as one of the funniest things I've heard about all day. Maybe the funniest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home