05 July, 2005

Maybe It Has A Chemical Imbalance

War Of The Worlds didn't do so hot this weekend.

Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise's sci-fi tale took in $77.6 million over the long Fourth of July weekend, lifting its total since debuting Wednesday to $113.3 million, according to studio estimates Monday.
That fell well short of the all-time high held by "Spider-Man 2," whose $180.1 million haul in its first six days led Hollywood to a record Fourth of July weekend last year.
The top 12 movies took in $160.1 million, off 25 percent from that 2004 record weekend.


That's not bad, but it's not great either, especially given the doubleheader of Spielberg and Cruise that the studio expected.
They're whistling in the wind:

"This is not a sequel. It's not based on a comic book and a young fan-based property. This is based on a 100-year-old literary property," Friedman said. Spielberg and Cruise's "movies tend to play longer, stay in the marketplace longer, so I think as it relates to 'Spider-Man 2,' we'll have to wait and see what the long haul brings."

I read books. I'm older. I normally see Spielberg's movies in theaters. I'm not paying money to see this film, because Tom Cruise has acted like a deranged duck from one end of the world to the other for the last six weeks. His decision to single-handedly undo all of the good done by mental health professionals in the last century was it for me. I'm betting it was for a lot of other people, too.

2 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, July 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not having had a TV for the past six weeks, can you tell me what you're referring to? :)
By the way, I read some stuff on Wiki about Scientology. Geeze Louise, Tom. Pull your head out!

Jason

 
At 8:36 AM, July 06, 2005, Blogger melusina said...

Yea, I know a lot of people who don't want to see the movie now. My husband is a psychiatrist so you can imagine his opinion. ;) I can't believe Spielberg backed Cruise on all his crazy talk, it probably ruined his movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home