21 September, 2005

I Have Been Face To Face With A Gay

Now that my mother in law has flown back to Newark and my major freelance project has been taken care of, I have begun catching up on the TiVo'd juiciness of the fall season. I just watched My Name Is Earl.

It's a funny show. I laughed at several of the lines and I really liked the production values, with the vast jump flashbacks and grounded shots. Jason Lee is as engaging as ever, and unlike *coughMattDamoncough* he doesn't need Kevin Smith to be funny. But the part of me that grew up in Indiana, lives in Tennessee and votes for Republicans kinda feels like the butt of a joke. I have a theory that 90% of the "Blue Staters" are actually people like me who had a very Red State upbringing but then decided they were more enlightened. Church is for hypocrites, small towns are stifling and narrowminded, and married people are boring or idiotic. Life without wine and cheese functions is pointless and we should be tolerant for all lifestyles except the ones that include voting for George Bush.

I kinda got the feeling halfway through Earl that the writers of the show felt this way. I'd bet that at least one of them is from West Red State Iosippi, and had a ball at typing up the lovingly humourous portrayal of folks back home. You can tell that there is a certain affection for Earl in the writing. If not the show would be insufferable. As it stands now, it's a funny show with a bit of a sandpaper edge. I'll still watch it, though, because I'm pretty tolerant.

7 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, September 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught as much of 'Earl' as I could while 'House' was on. Damn networks and their competitive scheduling! It was pretty damn funny. The face to face with a gay line caused me to actually blurt real laughter. They are definitely trying to plow the fertile comedy field of 'Raising Arizona'.

 
At 6:30 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Kleinheider said...

Oh crappy, was that the premiere? I wanted to see that. Are they replaying the first episode? When is the next one?

 
At 9:36 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I liked it very much. I hate that because it means that I will now have to make the effort to watch every week. It will dictate my Tuesday night schedule, and I was almost hoping that it would suck when I tuned in.

A.C., it is supposed to be replayed on Sunday night, I think.

 
At 12:19 AM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seen in a T-Shirt Shop in San Francisco:

Better Dead than Red

I did NOT buy this shirt. Though I have very divergent political views from the majority in my Red State, I do NOT consider myself better than my fellow red-staters.

 
At 7:46 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Sarcastro,
I don't know what's going on on House, but it can't be as funny as "Earl". I'd watch Earl, House on commercials and then flip over for the 2nd half of House. That way you get the juicy resolution in the hospital and all the laughs of Earl.

"and married people are boring or idiotic."? Ahem! I'll have you know that I am not boring.

And I'm not idiotic...so between the two of us...

;-p

Tom, that was a nice thing to say. Was it a Dead shirt? Cause I might get it to be ironic.

 
At 5:49 PM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'House' wasn't as funny as 'Earl'. However, it is much funnier than 'Kitchen Confidential'. In fact, the little bald girl dying of cancer with grit, courage and aplomb on 'House' was funnier than 'Kitchen Confidential'.

 
At 6:19 PM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I don't know...what's not funny about someone losing a finger?

I thought many of the plotlines in Kitchen Confidential were funny

when I first saw them in other shows, skits from Laugh-In and movies from 1932.

I'll probably give it 2 or 3 more tries before I give up on it, mostly because I want there to be a strong follow-up show for AD. That's the funniest thing on television, aside from Greta Van Sustern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home