06 September, 2005

Tagging

When I was a kid it was a stupid game that involved running and hitting. Later I found out that it was defacing a building with your subliterate name art. Now it's a kewl new way to summarize what you write about on a blog. Apparently it's for the people who just don't have the patience to read fewer words than are on most cereal boxes. I've seen some blogs (Rex Hammock This Means YOU) where the tags are actually longer than the blogger's actual writing.
I'm a big fan of organizing data. I've been known to spend hours building spreadsheets in Excel for the sheer joy of it. Nothing thrills me to the depths of my soul like a beautifully constructed VLOOKUP. There have been times in my life that I've contemplated being a librarian. (Then I always remember how much I hated working retail and think that the customers have to be even worse, because they aren't actually paying for the books) So anyway, I get the whole Species/Genus/Phylum thing. Yet it still irritates me. Mostly because now I'll have to figure out how to add them to my blog. Then I'll have to figure out what that entry is about.

I can just see my tags now: Dogs ; Books;
God; Mean Husband; Flaunt My Ignorance

Now they're apparently using them at NiT. Way to ratchet up the peer pressure.

At least Kleinheider appears to be with me on this one.

3 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who use MovableType, Wordpress and other CMS systems are familiar with tagging -- the buzzword previously known as categories. It's been around for donkey's years!

It's really taken off with flickr - and now people want them on their site. It's not a new concept though -- just new terminology :)

I like categories/tags - because I like keeping things organized. With a little click I can view all my links to cool shopping places -- posts about family stuff - or posts about movies -- etc;

You should switch to MT (or Wordpress -- although I'm partial to MT)-- it's sooooo much more flexible -- you can do practically anything with it. My MT even makes breakfast for me in the mornings! It's the CMS of champions :) {{I Heart MT.}}

Lacy

 
At 11:53 AM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I had a baptism by fire into MT this weekend with the Nashville Is Talking thing. I did like it, but I abhor moving my cheese. I'm all up in arms about changing Sunday School and that's enough grief for me for about 6 weeks.

 
At 10:33 AM, September 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO about SS! I think you'd really like MT - especially with how prolific you are. If you ever want to make the move -- I'm available to help with whatever. I ADORE MT. ;)

Lacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home