04 April, 2006

I Am Officially A Bad Person (P.S. Don't Forget The Turtle Pond)

I'm right now at my snarkiest, most judgmental and crankiest.

Thank you, ABC.

We (my sister and I) just watched Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

If you haven't seen this week's "The Holmes Family" just skip this recap and go about your business. If you have seen it, please feel free to enter my comments section and tell me how small-minded, uncharitable, bitchy and evil I am. You won't be saying anything I haven't told myself, but I probably need to hear it again.

There. With the preamble out of the way, allow me to get this off my chest. I have never been more down on this show than I am today. There are a lot of people in this world who struggle through life. Who wait tables from the time they are 16 to put themselves through college, then work a series of jobs with middling salaries to achieve some token form of the American Dream. They are teachers, nurses, firemen, policemen, secretaries, engineers. There are doctors who have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt from med school but choose to practice in small towns for little money. There are attorneys with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt who choose to practice in Legal Aid clinics.

We're building a house for an ex-crackhead. Who didn't even clean up of her own volition. (As would I) she opted for the deep blue sea of rehab (paid for by the state) instead of the devil of prison. Yeah, I'm being small-minded. We can, of course, make a case for the fact that she's clean and sober now and has a sign in her front yard announcing the fact that she'll give away stuff that other people have donated to her. See, I can't even make a case for this woman without being irritated by her "charity". It's not even called "Helping Hand" or "Loving Arms" or "The BreadBasket". She named it after herself. Whoooo.

Anyway, not only do we build her a huge house, we do this in a neighborhood so crime-ridden that the behind the scenes scuttlebutt at TWOP is that they had to populate the reveal with show interns and build staff.
It sounds all well and good, but this new mansion is located directly adjacent to a disreputable package store/night club smack dab in the middle of a high crime, dilapidated community (in fact, the EM:HE RV is parked-and guarded-in the Club 436 night club parking lot). Here's hoping that there is a bomb-diggity alarm system or else every thug within a few block radius will carry off a plasma tv says one of the commenters who lives a few miles away.

Not only was this a less-than-stellar candidate to begin with, now they have gone and painted a huge "Rob Me" sign on her family of young children.

And then we have to sit through the endless talk about "helping her turn around from her mistake and build a better life." I'm glad she's clean and sober and able to be a mother to her kids. I'm not knocking that in the least. I'm just wondering why we aren't giving houses to women who've never done drugs in their life and didn't drop out of school in the 11th grade to 'hang out with the wrong crowd.'

I openly admit to watching this show for the snark value as much as anything else, but I think this is the first time that I can say I'm 100% down on the show's choice of family. I really think it would be a much more enjoyable show if they'd do less for each recipient and then spread their generousity across a larger number of people.

Then, to top everything else, after they deliver bags of frozen meat to people literally huddled in dilapidated shanties--Have some Chicken Fingers and then use the bag to stuff in the holes in the ceiling!--they spend time, money and effort to BUILD A FRIGGING TURTLE POND. Cause Lord knows the turtles need a home more than the crippled old starving guy.

Sorry. This has been a long-winded sort of rant. I'm disgusted with the show and further disgusted with myself for not being more "open-minded". I just wish that instead of going to school, educating myself and working really hard I had decided to get pregnant repeatedly, use drugs until the court told me to stop or go to jail, then run some half-assed "charity" where I gave away what other people gave me (after putting my name on everything). Then, when some third-rate window AC (no doubt donated to my "charity") burned down the house on which I didn't carry any insurance, someone would build me a house three times as large, stock it with the newest appliances, a jacuzzi tub and every other luxury imaginable.

Silly me, thinking that working hard and being responsible was the way to behave as an adult.

11 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Well, I didn't see all of it, but I did see enough of it to know what you are talking about and to basically agree wholeheartedly. Call me bitter, call me negative, call me racist if you want to but I just didn't get their choice of family, either. Especially the fact that they live in such a bad neighborhood! Hello!?!? I've had that same thought several times over the past two (three?) seasons. When they choose very poor families and put up their McMansions beside dilapitated, uncared for, run down, ugly homes it just screams, "Open for Business, come rob me!!!" And even if the security system keeps theives out, what about vandalism?

Just add this to your ranting as well, we'll be bad people together.

 
At 10:01 AM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Jamie said...

I've watched a whopping zero episodes of this show.

I think you're spot on. Glorifying someone like the recipient in this one doesn't do anyone any favors.

 
At 11:05 AM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Pink Kitty said...

I watched one episode because they were doing the house in a Moroccan theme... and I want to do my bedroom in Moroccan style.

Other than that, I think I had it on mute most of the time.

 
At 2:44 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Hmmm, I think I'm going to go get me a drug addiction so I can get people to build me a house on TV. Well, I might not be ethnic enough. Crap, foiled that plan!

 
At 6:47 PM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis

That's from your sidebar.

I'll just say -- mmm, hypocrisy! It's what's for dinner!

 
At 7:12 PM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did watch mostly because I'm a fan of Preston's. I'm glad that the HO is clean and a better mom to her kids. The problem I have with her is that she has 5 kids and by how many dad's? All she's getting in child support. We all know that doesn't bring in enough do anything with. All the HO was is good PR for the show. To get the feel good side out to people. I can't take to much sugar anymore. I'm glad I only watch it for Preston. If he's not on I don't watch.

 
At 7:32 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...


I'll just say -- mmm, hypocrisy! It's what's for dinner!


What exactly is un-Christian about wanting to see someone else more deserving get the house?

 
At 8:39 AM, April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In total agreement. But my take on it had a little different spin. where most families cry, and appear appreciative of what has been bestowed upon them, there was a look in this ladies face and eyes...almost like she kept expecting more, and my daughter said she looked as if she taking mental inventory to see what could be pawned.
I found it funny that all of her "family" was there. Yeah, waiting to see what they could.

 
At 9:49 AM, April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katherine,

I like your posts on other blogs and I'm on board with you here. However, I think the "Christian" point to be made here is that no one deserves these homes at all, so no one can really claim to be more deserving than someone else. ABC likes to go for the big contrast because it makes them feel a little bit better about themselves for helping a tough case. If they wanted to make an actual difference, why not make over a whole neighborhood?

 
At 11:17 AM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I think the "Christian" point to be made here is that no one deserves these homes at all,

That's pretty much the way I feel about it, and my rant against the use of the word "deserves" is a much longer one.

I guess the reason this particular episode was my tipping point is because the contrast between the work done by ABC for this woman and NOT done for the surrounding environs was so glaring.

 
At 1:25 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Ecde said...

Would be interesting for next season to feature a segment called, "Going Home" where they return to these "acts of kindness" and let the viewer see the condition of the home a year later.

If you look at the before and after pics you know what the result is going to be. Anyone can find $10 for a bucket of paint. The hard part is finding the ambtion to hold onto the dumb end of the brush.

Several times the local Habit for Humanity org has either been forced to find a new owner or threaten loss of ownership before the propsective owner would get off of their lazy butt and put in some sweat equity.
You never hear that side of the story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home