04 May, 2006

Kleinheider Done Ticked Me Off

I do not like to patronised. For some reason I have a sinking feeling that the closer we get to the 2008 Presidential Race, the more patronised I'm going to feel.

We love "firsts" in this country, because we are in love with the pomp of media events. Now the media are trying to drive another story by pushing the novelty of a female president.

To me the idea of a woman president is a non-issue. Women have run countries for millennia. Allow me to introduce you to Elizabeth I, Victoria, Boudicca, Cleopatra, Elizabeth II, Mary of Scotland, Indira Ghandi, Golda Meier, Margaret Thatcher and the Queen of Sheba.

I'd like to think that we will see PEOPLE run for president, and then vote for the PERSON who is best able to meet the political needs of the country at the time. But here we are, more than two years from the election, and the pundits and PR teams are trying to take away the validity of our choice.

See, ladies, we can't choose a president the same way men can.
Have you ever seen women interact? The cattiness, the undermining, the competition, the self-loathing? Call it an internalization of the patriarchy or call the natural order of things but women often have trouble with other women in positions of authority.

So this means if when I don't vote for Hillary Clinton, that I'm withhholding my support of her because I am catty, undermining and self-loathing. It certainly can't be because I disagree with her economic policies, am unsure where she truly stands on the issue of national defence and feel that she isn't honest in the way she deals with her constituents.

By turning the candidacy of Hillary Clinton, Condoleeza Rice or any other woman who runs for office into a referendum on clitoral candidacy we undermine both suffrage and democracy. And it's disgusting.

7 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Thanks, Casey! I should have linked something like that from the get-go.

 
At 6:56 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

Kat,
I totally agree with you. I would never vote for someone just because she was a woman. I would never not vote for someone based on sex. I want a good leader, and as such am more interested in what's between the ears than the legs, and that has nothing to do with self-loathing or internalization of patriarchy.

 
At 10:18 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

I agree as well. I want a good leader, It doesn't matter to me what gender a politician is, that doesn't mean that I'm going to lose sight of the issues just because a person is a woman or because it might be interesting on the media stage.
In all honesty, I consider myself a liberal, but I'm not all about Hilary. I think she would be the worst candidate for the democrats in '08.
She tends to flip-flop more than Kerry was accused of. I think she has, on occasion, made some good points throughout the years and I do think she is tough.
But she tends to waffle too much for me and is entirely TOO political when it comes to the Washington mainstream.

 
At 10:23 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Just Larry said...

Kat, you need to trademark or copyright "clitoral candidacy" immediately.

That kind of alliterative catchphrase will inevitably be used on some political talk radio show.

When it is...you need to be ready.

 
At 12:12 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Aren't you mad at Mueller, too?

 
At 12:15 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Yeah, I'm mad at Mueller for doing the typical "ooh look! A WOMAN is running for office" b.s.

But at least he didn't start up with the krep generalisations.

 
At 7:41 PM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are correct in this matter. An individual should always vote for the person they feel is best for the country. Individuals should never vote for a candidate based on religion, sex, race, or political party.

S.A. Kleinheider

 

Post a Comment

<< Home