05 May, 2006

10% Off Everything

Wintermute has an interesting post about circumcision and AIDS.

I find the whole thing very fascinating. Not having the requisite equipment at hand, I don't often give much thought to the yeah or nay of circumcision. I have two brothers, both of whom were circumcised at birth by the hospital. No bris--because my parents don't observe Jewish traditions--and no fuss. I assumed, based on this, that circumcision was routine. Apparently I am mistaken.

I think if I ever have a son he will be circumcised. But I don't think we'll have a bris because a) I don't want to watch my son's penis being cut and b) If there was ever a Jewish ritual I didn't want to participate in (other than Niddah) it would be this one.

Interesting circumcision fact: Saw Mandy Patinkin once on a late night talk show, where he revealed that he had been circumcised twice. Apparently the hospital where he was born DOES circumcise all males routinely, and didn't realise that he was Jewish. There was, fortunately (?!?) enough of a foreskin left for the Mohel to peform the bris.

5 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

Concerning that week (Niddah), I always thought that week was BJ week. Or maybe I'm wrong.

 
At 9:51 AM, May 06, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

My late fathah, who was dying when my first son was born, didn't have a whole lot to say those last months of his life, however, he was quite happy we were planning on circin the boy. Seems Dad never was and apparently, it's easier on them later in life to be circed.

Mr. Smiff was not put through it til he was 6 years old. I've never understood that.

 
At 1:43 PM, May 07, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

Yikes, I apologize. Never comment on people's blogs after having attended a Derby party.

Stupid stuff gets typed.

 
At 10:45 PM, May 07, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Not a problem, Lee. I was just trying to think of a good come-back.

I had no luck.

All of them sucked.

 
At 11:48 AM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

Folks, she'll be here all night. Be sure to tip your waitress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home