12 June, 2006

I'm Sticking With 7/7/7

So I was listening to some Harry Potter Podcasts (Pottercast & Mugglecast, if you care to know) and the general consensus is that Book 7 just can't come out on 7/7/07 because the HP:Order of the Phoenix movie is slated for 7/13/07.

So what?

Yes, I realise that a bunch of people with podcasts think that it would be "stupid" and a "promotional nightmare" to bundle the two events so closely.

Personally I think that is exactly what WB/Bloomsbury Group has in mind. They WANT a juggernaut. They WANT Harry Potter to own July, 2007.

Why, exactly, would it be STOOPID, Melissa? Films have product tie-ins all the time. For instance, the Cars toys have been at McD's and Walgreens for at least 3 weeks ahead of the Pixar film. Books, on the other hand, often have to wait until they're officially backlist titles to get a good film tie-in.

The amount of pop-culture noise created by this joint release would be phenominal. Besides which, everyone in HPFandom is making boohoo noise about it "all coming to an end" after the release of book 7. (Another thing I disagree with....) Why not go out with a Grand Finale?

So, I'm sticking with my prediction of 7/7/07.

3 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

Originally, I said that I hoped they wouldn't come out so close together. Because, to be honest, I'm not going to give 2 hoots about all the fifth movie publicity if the movie is coming out a week after the movie.

But now I think I'll need the distraction of the movie - trailers, clips, film stills, cast appearances, and all the schmack that goes with a film release - as a distraction from the excitement of book 7. Sure, they run the risk of people not being that interested in seeing the movie. But interest is bound to wane anyway after book 7.

Also, the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie is supposedly coming out in July. That would be the best triple-whammy ever, but I fear the internets may explode. :P

 
At 4:22 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger melusina said...

I'm not sure we can count on a movie release this far ahead, but maybe we can.

Still, I think it would make sense to have the book and movie come out at around the same time. I don't think it would be a promotional nightmare at all, I think it would be a boon.

Besides, if the book comes out on 7/7 and the movie on 7/13, most hard core Potterites will have long finished the book and be ready for movie number 5.

To me, they are totally separate entities. Excitement about the book and the movie are two different things. Besides, it is hard to get enough Harry Potter.

 
At 3:12 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Yes, but let's ask the burning questin here--when does Spidey 3 come out?!?

I seem to recall that the early July timetable was out there. So, it may be a way to get some hype and box office away from Spidey 3 as well.

And who cares if we have the new book and the new movie out at the same time....we can handle both. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home