08 June, 2006

Someday I'll Look Back On This Night And Laugh

I love my dog, Casey. I really do. He's sweet and kind and always has a smile on his face. He's never met an enemy. He's completely friendly and loves everybody. Including, apparently, the skunks that have been using my backyard as a free-range buffet.

It doesn't help that he's a tricolor dog, and just dumb enough to think that perhaps that black and white thing is related to him somehow. "Look, Dama! A Berner Puppy!"

Speaking of dumb, I knew the skunks were out there, because they've been boldly going where this woman will not go for the past few nights. Sunday night the dogs trapped a baby under the hose reel. Tuesday night they trapped on under the Wisteria. But silly me thought if I let them pee quickly in the open area of the yard there would be no problem. Wrong.

The unfortunate facial spraying was at 9:00. Now, at 2:17am I have bathed the dog 3 times (in Dawn dish soap--recommended) and saturated the basement carpet with an explosive mixture of Water, Vinegar, and OxyClean. Seems to be working.

Now I'm taking the dogs out front on a leash. If you are driving by Hermitage and see a grown woman with wet hair, traces of Dawn dishwashing liquid splattered across her old Blockbuster/Winnie The Pooh t-shirt and tears of helplessness streaming down her face, honk and say "hi."

2 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, June 08, 2006, Blogger grandefille said...

Oh my. So sorry for the dousing and subsequent efforts. We've always been fortunate that the skunk singles disco events were in our front (unfenced) yard rather than the back (fenced) yard, where the dog is. Except for the barking and the tell-tale whiffs of eau de Le Pew under the pine trees, we were spared the full misery.

I guess you could've done what this woman in Murfreesboro did: sprayed them first. Talk about a standoff, though.

Poor Ms. Coble and her pup. Poor skunks. Nobody wins.

Except the dang developers, grrrr.

 
At 8:16 AM, June 08, 2006, Blogger grandefille said...

Well, crap. The link didn't work. Try this one and see what it does. Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home