02 June, 2006

Buckstar

If you've come here looking for information on Buckstar of the Buck Star Show on Last Comic Standing, here's what I know.

The Newsgroup scuttlebutt around LCS2 was that he was an intern working on the show that was part of a staged gimmick. That whole season was so awash in controversy that the BuckStar Is A Fake Meme just got pushed under the carpet.

Given the other shenanigans (allegations of rigged voting, staged arguments), it wouldn't surprise me if they had pulled yet another fast one with BuckStar filling the role of starry-eyed dreamer Susan Lucci.

However Reality News Online attempted to debunk the rumour in an article dated July 7, 2004
Although some message boards and other sites have continued to suggest that Buck Star worked for the show in some capacity, our sources tell us that this is simply not true. Buck truly was just a guy who wanted to become a comic and had financial assistance from his father to help pay for his trips following Bob and Ross around on each step of the try-outs. In fact, some at NBC and with the show felt Buck was starting to look like a stalker due to his ability to appear at all of the try-outs.


They have no further updates, but after this round of LCS4 Shecky Magazine has resurrected the Buck Star-is-a-PA rumour.
There is word on the street that he is a production assistant on the show and that he is not a serious participant in the auditions. He's a plant. This would explain why he is able to be in all the towns where the show holds its cattle calls.


In other words, we're right back where we started two summers ago. As much as it pains me to say it, given the track record of the show's manipulation of the audience and celebrity judges, I personally think it is far more likely that BuckStar is a plant.

UPDATE:
The saga continues. From the comments here:
Hello, I personally know Mr. Buck Star... witch is his chosen stage name. We worked together in Kingman AZ for over a year...Before this he was of all things a sales consultant for one of the car dealer here in Kingman, and he told me and several others he would be going back this year for another try.


Thanks to Travis E., who left the quote. It does appear to be more than sincere and gives as specific an amount of details that a third party can give. I appreciate the forthrightness of the commenter greatly, but it would be fantastic to have more details to verify.

6 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, June 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I personally know Mr. Buck Star... witch is his chosen stage name. We worked together in Kingman AZ for over a year.

The reason he appears at all the auditions is simply because he must... it is his personality to never ever quit... yes, his father has helped him but more than that his personal force of will has propelled him to where he is now.

Before this he was of all things a sales consultant for one of the car dealer here in Kingman, and he told me and several others he would be going back this year for another try.

He is most certainly not a gimmick or prop of any kind for LCS or the network... all though I believe he may have created a name for himself and even a future in the industry just by being himself, because the way he behaves on stage is most assuredly not a performance of an act, it is just him being his usual self.

Travis E.

 
At 1:40 AM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Chance said...

Katherine,
I like your site. I blogrolled it on mine. I too am a Christian with libertarian ideas (but not quite making the jump to full-blown libertarian).

 
At 1:25 PM, June 04, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Ah, isn't that sweet Kat? You got a Church of Christ guy to link to you on his blog!

 
At 4:15 PM, June 04, 2006, Blogger Chance said...

malia ~ who, me? I'm a non-denominational.

 
At 9:00 PM, June 04, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Um Chance? Have you looked at your blog site lately? It says Church of Christ on it. (At the one that links through your profile does.) And yes I understand that Church of Christ is non-denominational because I belong to one. Besides...it's a running joke with Miss Kat and I ;)

 
At 9:10 PM, June 04, 2006, Blogger Chance said...

Katherine ~ sorry to hijack this post.

malia ~ I have 2 blogs, my main one, and a men's bible study group I belong to, which, happens to be church of Christ (which I don't visit all the time obviously), I didn't even realize that was shown on my profile and the other one was not. I assumed it was the other way around, but now it's fixed.

I figure I should say something concerning Buckstar, since that is what the actual post is about. I didn't realize the producers had done so much shady stuff with the show. Travis E.'s story sounds believable, and if Buckstar was a plant, he would be pathetically unfunny, not just unfunny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home