01 September, 2006

A Bit About My Pussy

When I was fifteen I had a cat. Actually I had about a dozen cats (we lived in the country), but Cookie was my favourite. He was a fat ol' tom that I raised from a kitten. He and I would lounge together and contemplate life. I even had him in one of my Senior pictures. Yes. I realise that makes me halfway between insane and insaner. But I figured the cheerleaders posed with pompoms, the basketball players all held a ball and a couple guys were leaning against the hoods of their prized cars. So what if I wanted my beloved cat in a picture? Clearly it was a bad idea since I'm still apologising for it eighteen years later.

One Saturday morning shortly before I graduated my mother and younger brother sat down with me at the kitchen table. They tearfully explained that when they had been out driving earlier that morning, they found Cookie. In the middle of the road. Not alive. Since they knew I had an appointment and would be leaving shortly, they felt it was kinder to clean up his remains and bury him. I shouldn't, they figured, have to see my beloved pet ground into the pavement on State Road 1. Valiantly my mother stopped the traffic on the busy road while my brother collected my cat's body. I don't know which was worse--that, or having to tell me about it.

I spent most of the morning in tears, breaking down repeatedly at SuperCuts. No woman giving someone a haircut for eight dollars should have to put up with the amount of wailing I was doing. I hope I tipped her well, but I can't recall. I cried most of that day and most of Sunday. On Monday it was a prayer request in homeroom.

So naturally we were all freaked out a week later when the still-alive cat showed up at the garage door and meowed to be let inside.

There are two ways to look at this. Either there were a lot of fat black and white tomcats in Northern Indiana in 1988 or cats really do have nine lives. Then again, it might have been a miracle.

I kind of feel like that this morning. I've cried and cried for Casey at just about every possible place. The grocery store. The movies. Mothership BBQ. And the x-ray results show that his bone is actually healing. Which means the vet is backing off his "maybe cancer" and now saying "probably infection." As he told me while paying for my dog drugs--"cancer doesn't get better. His bone is getting better." Having not one but two pets' lives extended makes me believe that maybe there are tiny miracles. Thanks to all who've prayed and wished us well. Who knows? Maybe I'm going to be able to watch Animal Planet without breaking down now.

18 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Busy Mom said...

Excellent news!

 
At 12:27 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Aunt B said...

Shut up! The bone is healing?! That is great news.

 
At 12:30 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

You could have knocked me over with a feather. But it's obvious on the x-ray. The smudgy part was the size of a quarter before. Now it's about the size of half a penny.

 
At 12:59 PM, September 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the best news I've heard all day!

You know you just wanted to use that subject line, though.

My beloved late poodle Hugo was in one of my senior pictures. Someone should start a senior picture meme in honor of school starting and all.

 
At 1:12 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Sarcastro said...

Most. Misleading. Title. Ever.

 
At 1:19 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Not really. You just had high hopes.

 
At 2:11 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

That's awesome news. I'm so thrilled for you and your dog! Keep us informed of how things progress.

 
At 2:15 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger grandefille said...

Oh, Ms. Coble. We are so glad. Sometimes the angels get the messages to Him before the end of His work day, don't they? And then He can start returning calls.

We said it before and will continue to say it: SMOOCH THAT PUP FOR US!

Smooch yourselves for us, too. You all deserve it.

 
At 2:27 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, yay! I'm so glad you got some good doggie news! :)

 
At 4:05 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Right now, I'm laughing at the title of this post. I'll stop laughing and go back and actually read it!

 
At 4:10 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Great news!! I'm so very happy for you and Casey!!

 
At 10:28 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger John H said...

Glad to hear this news, and admit it now..you're just trying to get a million hits with THAT subject line!

 
At 9:46 AM, September 02, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

Congratulations.
This is the best news I've read all day.
And the title is extremely clever.

 
At 1:02 PM, September 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mrs. Slocum! We are truly thrilled and can't wait to give Casey a big hug and kiss!

 
At 8:37 PM, September 02, 2006, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

I am so thrilled for you! Miracles happen all the time, but it's really nice when we actually get to see one.

 
At 9:01 PM, September 02, 2006, Blogger Exador said...

Thank God you got married. With a picture of you and your cat, I suspect you would have won "Most likely to become a crazy cat lady"

I only play a doctor on tv, but my vet said, about Montgomery, that cancer eats calories. If your dog is eating the same amount, but losing weight like crazy, then it's cancer.

 
At 11:51 PM, September 02, 2006, Blogger ceeelcee said...

First of all, let me say how glad I am to hear that your dog may be on the mend. I do believe that collective hope and prayer can work miracles.

But on a snarkier note (and I hope you wouldn't expect less from me), to reward all of us who are sending our good thoughts to you and your canine family, you absolutely have to post that Senior/cat picture.

And on the snarkiest note of all, I think I may have spotted your cat in a Stuckey's in northern Alabama.

I kid because I care!

Happy for your news.
CLC

 
At 12:09 AM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Ceee, if I had any idea where that picture even was anymore, I'd scan it and post it. I assume my mom has it laying around in a shoebox somewhere. Maybe that will be my post-Christmas gift to the blogosphere.

Because frankly I can think of few things as sad as that picture. And the cat is the least-sad of all of it.

I dunno. Maybe it's the Orphan-Annie perm. Or the sweater-dress. Who can say for sure!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home