24 September, 2006

This Bodes Well

In six and a half hours I will be teaching Sunday School for the first time. I've got a really great lesson worked out.

So the school of thought would be that I should get a good night's sleep and awake refreshed. With that in mind I went to bed at 10:00. Which is like sundown in my world. Unfortunately allergies (mine and my dog's) caused me to be awake by 1:17. I got up, re-read my lesson and then decided to take a bath to unwind.

That was when (and where and how) the centipede bit me on the side of my left boob/breast/knocker/mammary gland/headlight/jug.

Can I just tell you that this sucker HURTS!?!? It feels sorta like a cross between a bee sting and a spider bite. I'm sure it'll be no big deal in the grand scheme of things. But when you're trying so hard to be your best and be bright and cheerful, having a painful welt in that location is not the happiest of coincidences.

The good news is that the centipede is d-e-d. Ded. The bad news is that it has totally killed the "kick back and relax in the tub" vibe I had going. And looking up "centipede bite" on the internet is just not a relaxing thing to do. Apparently there are giant centipedes in the tropical rainforests that kill small children. Since my stinger was about 2 inches long I don't think he fits the "giant" bill. And I myself am a fur piece away from small. Yet....

7 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Oh. my. goodness. I didn't even know we had centipedes in Nashville!
I googled "centipede bites," and was glad to read that it's (mostly) not fatal. But I read on several sites that the bite of a centipede in comparable to a sting from a wasp. Ouch! Are you okay????
I do believe in good and evil, and I can see this as a way of evil trying to get in the way of you doing something good. As you know, good trumps evil, so I am sure you'll be fine and something was trying to stick a fork in you, so to speak, to distract you.
What are you teaching this morning?
Also, are you teaching adults or kids?
If you are half as good with the spoken word as you are with the written word, your students are in for a wonderful time.

 
At 9:08 AM, September 24, 2006, Blogger John H said...

come on Kat, I know you could have worked 'pussy' into THAT post..

Glad you were not stung by the rainforest-child-killing version of the 'pede'.

Blogs are so educational. I didn't even know that centipedes bite until I read this post.

 
At 10:20 AM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

I hate bugs.
All kinds of bugs.
This just freaks me out.
Hope it heals quickly, and yes, I'm still freaked out.

 
At 4:54 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Sharon, I'm surprised you of all people didn't know about the Nashopedes. They are very common and most houses have them. Most people don't realise that they have them because (like me) the Centipede is a nocturnal bug. They usually live in baseboards around plumbing and come out at night to forage for spiders and fly larvae. They're good at controlling the fly population. And yes, they bite. And it still hurts, and you can get a headache from the venom. Which I still have.

As far as Sunday School went, I taught adults (my own class) as a fill-in for my absent teacher. The verses were Joshua 24:14-31, where Joshua prepares Israel for his death by renewing her covenant with God. I suppose the fact that I didn't put anyone to sleep means that people at least had an okay time. ;-p

John, I would've found a place for pussy, but I thought I was pushing it with my Breast Thesauras sentence. Especially in a post where I'm also talking about teaching Sunday School. It's not like I was teaching Song of Solomon.

NC, I don't normally mind bugs as long as they do their thing without messing up my thing. Scurrying across the rim of my tub whilst I soak in lavender water is NOT the way I like my bugs to behave.

 
At 8:26 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Kat,
I had no idea centipedes were nocturnal. I've never seen one in Nashville! Of course now I am going to be looking for them all night every night. What part about being a female Woody Allen did you miss? ;)
Like John, I didn't know they could bite.
I am glad to hear Snday school went well, though I am not surprised. I love the stories about the warriors in the Torah.
How about teaching Devorah next week? As you know, there were plenty of female warriors, too.
You mentioned the students enjoyed it (not a surprise), but did you?

 
At 1:13 AM, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember seeing centipedes crawl on the puke yellow carpet at my open classroom elementary school.

I did not know those things would get on ones person and bite.

 
At 7:02 AM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

It's weird, but I probably have a phobia.
Growing up in the rural south with the bugs isn't always a constructive and healthy thing for the NC.
Of course, we weren't allowed phobias in the day.
And yes, my family torments me with cave crickets and spiders and the like.
They're mean that way.
Hope your healing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home