08 January, 2007

Let's Talk About Monkeys

I've started and abandoned at least 5 different posts, each of which was some really turgid form of boring navel-gazing. It's the first Monday of the New Year and as such will have its own degrees of moroseness for everyone. I don't need to add to it with my strange ramblings.

Instead I've decided that I want to celebrate monkeys. I love monkeys because they always make me smile no matter what my day has been like or what mood I'm in. I love dogs, but they'll break your heart. Monkeys, on the other hand, come with no strings attached. They're just goofy, silly smiling things.

One of the silver linings accompanying our less-than-wonderful news of last week is that in reshuffling various office equipment between my basement desk and Hubs' loft office, I've now got room for my four-foot-tall love monkey on my desk. I like having him there much better than the monitor that I had.

Around 12 years ago I adopted a monkey from the Paradeis gift shop in the Nashville Airport. He's been a mischevious companion on most of our travels since then. His name is Jonathan, but he'll also answer to Jinx.



That's him at the Wilderness Lodge in Disney World.

So anyway, have a happy Monday, and if you get too down with the whole malaise, just think of a monkey. It'll cheer you up every time.

6 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, January 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

monkeys are my absolute favorite animal in the world. I used to dream of being one...

 
At 8:34 AM, January 08, 2007, Blogger dolphin said...

I had an ex who went (wait for it...) BANANAS over monkeys. Monkeys adorned the wallpaper and icons on his computer, he had monkey posters, a monkey air freshener hanging from his rear view mirror and more monkey stuffed animals than you'd ever want to see. He'd occasionally even refer to himself in the third person as "Monkey" (yeah, he was a bit strange). Can't say I ever really got the monkey thing, but then what can I really say, within the blogosphere I'm now the one referring to myself by an animal name (note: while I do have my share of dolphin paraphernalia, I don't even come close to his love of monekys)

 
At 11:51 AM, January 08, 2007, Blogger Elena said...

Your stuffed monkey makes me grin, Kat!

I think you ought to get your hubs to buy you this little gem.

:o)

 
At 12:43 PM, January 08, 2007, Blogger saraclark said...

I have got to get you a picture of the "monkey in western wear and chaps" photo that hangs on my wall at work. It's a balck and white, 50's retro kind of monkey too.

Have you ever seen or noticed the "Stupid Monkey" series of cartoons associated with Robot Chicken? Every epdisode ends with "Stupid Monkey" being in some different kind of situation. Last night he was wrapped up in a snake and staring it in the face. It's one of my favorite parts each week.

 
At 12:44 PM, January 08, 2007, Blogger saraclark said...

Oh man, disregard the terrible spelling and typing above. Stream of consciousness before lunch.

 
At 4:28 PM, January 08, 2007, Blogger Lynnster said...

That happy little monkey definitely put a smile on my face today!

I picked up a multicolored happy (and soft!) monkey for my mom at St. Thomas' gift shop when she had outpatient surgery a few years ago. He still makes us smile. (Mom's cat HATES it, though...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home