06 September, 2005

My Personal Logo

Speaking of Tagging, I've finally switched my photo over to my personal logo.

Why do I have a personal logo? What kind of boneheaded egoism is that? Well, I'm glad you asked.

Firstly, when I began cross-stitching at 9, I thought it would be a good idea to 'finish' off my work with something that identified it. Since my name isn't Ann or Amy or Jen or equally short, I invented a logo to embroider in the corner. It was very simple and consisted of a morphing of my initials (KJB). Monograms bore me, so I fiddled with the look a bit. Then I saw that Tolkien made his own paraCeltic personal logo using his own initials. Yes, I know that his is cooler. He also has more letters to play with since he's one of those British people whose parents give them twelvety names. Anyway, when I began caligraphing in Jr. High, I started fiddling some more. Then I got married and had to change everything from "B" to "C". I now use it for my freelance work, and fiddle with it every now and again. It will most likely alter subtly every few weeks from now until the end of time.

So yes, my personal logo is a poor mimicry of Tolkien's. Perhaps when I die and leave behind a highly-admired body of work someone will knit my logo into a sweater or a pair of socks.

Geek; Tolkein;Calligraphy

12 Comments:

At 1:26 AM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I hire you out to create a personal logo from my initials? Pleeze? :)

Jason (C.) Young

 
At 4:28 AM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

I like it. It almost looks like a Hebrew letter. (subconscious?)

 
At 10:45 AM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww a fellow cross-stitcher! I wonder if it is a dying "art"? Even my BROTHER cross-stitched growing up -- he had a huge UT VOLS thing he worked on for months when he was a kid (now granted - he hasn't cross-stitched since reaching puberty -- but still ... )

2 years ago I cross-stiched personalized 8x10 projects for all the women in my family ... it makes such a cool gift. Definitely something that doesn't get sold at a yard sale :)

I just don't know any kids today that cross-stitch!

AND back to my original reason for commenting ... love the logo :) Are you going to develop a set of standard colors and such that you allow on your site? Perhaps fonts as well ... Sorry - this is just reminding me of some recent logo happiness around here ;)

Lacy

 
At 11:50 AM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Sharon--

Intentional. Completely intentional.

Lacy--
Girl, come on. You should know me better than that:

Official Purple:
C66/m76/y37/k22 HTML#604868

Official Grey:
c37/m39/y23/k0 HTML#a799aa

Approved Fonts:
Georgia
Verdana
Times New Roman
Adobe Garamond


All this for my one little home business. But you can't have worked for 4 years with Disney, Pfaltzgraff, Waverly, etc. without having caught the Branding Virus.

 
At 11:58 AM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Jason

Are you serious?! Cause you know this is about the single geekiest thing I can think of.

But of course you know I'll do it for the fun of it all.

 
At 3:00 PM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because it's the single geekiest thing you can think of doesn't make it unutterably cool.

Didn't you know? The Geeks have risen up, thrown off the shackles of their beautiful but dim oppressors, and now run the world.

Take that, Biff.

J

 
At 4:56 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Glen said...

Can I start calling you "The Blogger Formerly Known As Katherine"?

That would be cool.

 
At 10:01 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Patrick said...

Isn't this how the Toyota symbol got started?

 
At 5:04 AM, September 08, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Glen, you'd get on well with Tim. He says that about my logo all the time. Usually with an eyeroll or two.

Patrick, I'm not sure, but the story behind that and other car company logos is here

 
At 10:36 AM, September 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glen - hehe!

and katherine -- we need the RGB colors too. I have a leaning towards Trebuchet -- but for you - will stick to verdana.

Lacy

 
At 10:42 AM, September 08, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Oh, go run the conversions in your fancy-schmancy CS2, miss thing.

Feh.

8-p

 
At 11:20 AM, September 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only recently upgraded to CS2 -- before that -- I was running 5.5!! I feel like my whole world has changed for the better now. Light is shining brightly -- there's an otherwordly glow around my computer screen. Angels sing when I click on the CS2 icon. ;)

Lacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home