26 March, 2006

The Busted Clock That's Never Right

If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time you may know that sometimes I pride myself on being outside the pack. Not in the soon-to-be-dead gazelle way, but in the iconoclastic beat-of-a-different-drummer way. I blame some of that on growing up in Indiana.

When the rest of the country (except those dotty folk in Arizona) are fooling with Franklin's great time-friggery known as Daylight Savings, Indiana has always minded its own business. Five O'Clock in Hoosier land is Five O'Clock all year long. None of this Five is Six and Six is Five twisted logic sprung from the brain of a skirtchasing kite-flying maniac.

Until now. Today my father informed me that next week my proud state's tradition of marching to the beat of its own clockticking is over. Statewide Daylight Savings Time is now infesting Hoosierland.

I give up. That's it. Tomorrow I'm going to start wearing makeup again, go buy a minivan and eat some processed cheese.

4 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, March 26, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

NOOOOO! Twice a year I threaten to move to Indiana because I HATE, LOATHE Daylight Savings Time!!!! It's stupid and worthless and a big pain in the @$$ especially when you have children.

Ugh, I guess that means I have to move to Hawaii now. Hmmmm....that's so bad now is it?

 
At 5:34 PM, March 26, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

:::sigh::: That is depressing.

Although, at least now I won't be confused as to what time it is in Indiana. Man, a lot of people who have lived in Indiana all their lives are going to be seriously confused.

 
At 6:59 PM, March 27, 2006, Blogger reader_iam said...

You know, on the one hand I'm sympathetic to your point. I can see the appeal of the "rugged individualist" thing.

On the other hand, for many, many years, while living on the East Coast, I'd get confused as to which time of year I was on the same time as my (MANY) relatives in Indiana. (Disclosure: I'm a Hoosier by birth. If I were to tell you how many first cousins my mom--also an Indiana native--had, you wouldn't believe me, so I won't bother.)

Since moving to Iowa more than a decade ago, I'm STILL confused about which time of year we conform--only not it's the opposite of what it was when I lived East. Except that I was confused then. So I'm confused now. So ...

I must confess that I'm glad for this change, for purely and admittedly selfish reasons.

Not ecstatic, though, because I think we should just dispense with the whole time-change thing altogether in the first place. It's so outdated, in my view.

So help me out: Will the state of my birth now be perpetually Central or Eastern in time zone?

 
At 9:36 PM, March 27, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

They will be Eastern. Perpetually an hour ahead of me. It was nice being on the same time in the summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home