27 March, 2006

Morgan Spurlock. What Else Is There To Be Said?

My antipathy for Morgan Spurlock's "investigative methods" has been well-documented. (By me.) So of course it stands to reason that I'd have an opinion about his latest episode of public barfing.

First, let me say this. I have a simple theory that anyone who films him or herself barfing both craves and needs attention entirely too much. We all have "notice-me" behaviours ranging from a light application of lipstick to streaking at football games. But filmed vomiting is in a class(lessness) by itself.

Morgan Spurlock has filmed himself vomiting. And been made famous for it. While I suppose congratulations are in order for his spectacular goal-orientation and acheivement, the fact remains that he's an attention-whore. This is why it is a spectacularly bad idea to invite him to speak at your high school. Of course he'll make fun of the special needs kids. Of course he's gonna rag on McDonald's. That's his schtick. He's made millions of dollars doing exactly that, so don't act all surprised that he followed through in your assembly. Do I think it's right? No. Of course not. There are things polite people don't do. They don't make fun of people with special needs, they don't call people stupid and they don't film their own puke.

And of course there's absolutely nothing attention-whoring about having your own blog. Nothing at all.

3 Comments:

At 1:54 AM, March 27, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Heh. Free speech isn't really all that free, when someone is paying you to speak.

I liked Morgan Spurlock til the whole making fun of special needs kids thing. I guess I still like him, somewhat. I'm just pissed that he made fun of special needs kids.

I've never been filmed barfing, btw. But I would, if someone paid me enough. I'm a total sellout. :)

 
At 7:48 AM, March 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught the Supersize movie last week. The main thingy I came away with is how if he DIDN'T get slightly flabby and come up with minor health risks, there wouldn't be a movie.

Spurlock is a physically fit and active guy. For him to just stop working out and eat a normal food pyramid diet would cause him to gain weight and lose muscle tone, McDonald's eating nonwithstanding.

So he rigged the outcome of his little experiment to suit his needs. Color me shocked.

 
At 9:40 AM, March 27, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

That's what gets me about him. The two things I've seen him do (SSM & 30 Days) both were sold as "experiments" but engineered to meet a specific outcome.

And as much as SSM was supposed to sell me on the dangers of McD's (which food I hate but am compelled to eat maybe once every two or three months), all it did was convince me that he was a fool and a bigot. The stuff he ordered was idiotic, and he ordered it repeatedly. His excuse is that "is how most people eat at McDonalds." Which implies that the lower socioeconomic groups which eat more fast food don't know how to make good food choices. They're stupid and need Morgan to help them.

I'm sorry. I just hate that guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home