01 June, 2006

Blonde Identification Mixup

It's old home week for me watching the National News. First the serial killer around the block and now the blonde girls from my alma mater.

My dad is on the board and was on the Presidential Search Committee. They were all preparing for the new guy, a culmination of my dad's and others' efforts for the past year. Everyone loves big parties, and the inauguration weekend was gonna be huge. Two vanloads of kids, doing the same banquet staffing job that both my spouse and I had done, went up to the Fort Wayne branch of the campus--one hour away--for preperations. There was an accident on the way back, and the second vanload (driven by my old boss) came upon the scene.

According to my mom, the driver of the second van had to wade through absolute carnage to help emergency workers identify the bodies. She spoke to the driver after the event. The driver didn't have words to describe what was asked of them that night.

I can't imagine the grief they must all be feeling as part two of this tragedy plays out in the national spotlight.

UPDATE: I dont' like to change blog entries because I like to be truthful. But I realised that in this case I didn't have permission to name the person who made the identification so I have altered the entry to protect that person's anonymity.

3 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't the same thing happen around here recently? Like both girls in the car were named Tiffany or Dakota or Savannah and they got them mixed up much to the chagrin of the families.

 
At 3:36 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

Can you imagine...thinking you have buried your daughter and a month out finding out that was NOT your daughter you buried and your daughter is in a hospital?!?!?! And for the other family...thinking your daughter was one of the lucky ones that survived then find out that she didn't??? Unbelievable. The one mom said she did not look at the body though because she couldn't bear it. There's a reason they make family members identify bodies in situations like that.

 
At 9:59 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 1997 two girls named Tiffany were in a crash in Williamson County. One Tiffany died, but her parents unwittingly prayed over the comatose girls' body for four days, thinking it was their daughter, until the mix-up was discovered.

Tiffany Getty and Tiffany Moshier

 

Post a Comment

<< Home